Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Jobs for the class of 2009.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Fingers, toes everything crossed. My son has his interview with the training Farrier on Monday at Lanbourne, Berks.The epicentre of the racing industry. Not good if you're anti-racing but very good if you're wanting an apprenticeship in Farriery. If he gets through that then he'll have a month's trial.
    Aaah brilliant Gladys! That is good news! I hope he gets it

Thanks for the info re my cousin - I will get him to look into it and see - Just depends if he can get his head rouns this as a career option!

Josie, There is a 2 year landscaping course at Warwickshire College. Its based at Morton Morrell where he can live in if he's far enough away from home so as to make a compute inpractical. Its a bit more than gardening. There are also many other courses there from farming, gamekeeping, farriery, building etc- get him online to have a look. If he's 19 or under, the course is fully funded.
    This sounds great for boys who want to go down this route. I find courses at coleges are really starting to be hugley varied. Its great. Now if only kinds took advantage of free education...

Pillar of the Community

My son had a good interview at Lambourne yesterday and now has a 2 week trial with the Training Farrier who only 'does' racehorses. This is brilliant. I'm so pleased- still got fingers, toes etc crossed.

Established Member

My son had a good interview at Lambourne yesterday and now has a 2 week trial with the Training Farrier who only 'does' racehorses. This is brilliant. I'm so pleased- still got fingers, toes etc crossed.
    Wow definately brilliant news - am haoppy for him and I am sure he will do well! I mean he has gotten this far with ease dont you think

Pillar of the Community

No ease Josie, This has been such a long road with trials along the way. Its been like a test-'Do you really want to do this? If so show us.' He was 14 when he decided and now 19, it's cost a packet in unseen expenses but I do not worry about that. The fact is he has known what he's wanted since that young age which is something I can't say I did. (I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!!!) I wait at each stage along the way because at each one there are tests, not academic always but usually of character and strengths of etc, He could fail any by the wayside but we'll see. It's an old school craft of Farriery-wrapped in tradition etc, they don't move quickly withthe 21st century. Horses have always needed shoes but not always have they needed corrective shoes-they got shot etc. Now the farrier works with the vet, they are a very special bunch.Imagine if you owned a £1m racehorse and the farrier put the nail of his shoe in wrong- dead horse, dead farrier!!!!

Established Member

No ease Josie, This has been such a long road with trials along the way. Its been like a test-'Do you really want to do this? If so show us.' He was 14 when he decided and now 19, it's cost a packet in unseen expenses but I do not worry about that. The fact is he has known what he's wanted since that young age which is something I can't say I did. (I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!!!) I wait at each stage along the way because at each one there are tests, not academic always but usually of character and strengths of etc, He could fail any by the wayside but we'll see. It's an old school craft of Farriery-wrapped in tradition etc, they don't move quickly withthe 21st century. Horses have always needed shoes but not always have they needed corrective shoes-they got shot etc. Now the farrier works with the vet, they are a very special bunch.Imagine if you owned a £1m racehorse and the farrier put the nail of his shoe in wrong- dead horse, dead farrier!!!!

Wow in that case I applaud him he is a very determined young man and has had his eye on the goal for a very long time!

Like you I have no idea what job I would like to do when I grow up I have had my pick of jobs along the way but am still looking for the dream - have no idea what it is yet though hehe!

I am very impressed as at 14 let alone 19, not many of us have the drive and passion to pursue a career like he has - it must be great now that things are starting to happen for him!

I have a younger sisters and brothers and none of them are this sure of what they want and where they are going - I mean they have ideas but no certainty you know?

I really hope this works out for him and he gets his lucky break in all this

Pillar of the Community

Thank You, Josie, I'll keep you posted. Good luck to your siblings- they all are so bombarded these days with being somebody and doing something. At the outset it would be good to know who you are and what you do. Start there and I think things will pan out.

Established Member

Thank You, Josie, I'll keep you posted. Good luck to your siblings- they all are so bombarded these days with being somebody and doing something. At the outset it would be good to know who you are and what you do. Start there and I think things will pan out.
    I couldnt agree more there

definately keep us posted though - wpuld be nice to see how he gets on with tit all