View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:38 am



Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Far Gosford Street Redevolopment 
Author Message
Pillar of the Community
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 14165
Location: Stratford
Reply with quote
Not sure if I'd make trip to Coventry to shop Far Gosford Street once the redevopment's completed; at the moment, there's not a lot there that I can't get in Stratford: http://www.coventry.gov.uk/news/article/1451/historic_street_set_for_a_facelift


Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:36 pm
Report this post
Profile
Reply with quote
Post 
Far gosford street has never been any good as a shopping centre. Even when I was a nipper it was always tat.


Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:12 pm
Report this post
Reply with quote
Post 
As regards opening up Burgess (there is no 'the' in the title!) there is talk of revealing the river Sherbourne. That's a brilliant idea with the morons in Coventry. It'll be regularly treated to doses of soap suds and more.

The council are guilty of neglecting the area and of allowing it to become rundown as they focused on the other side of the city centre. A good clean up would go a long way to make it look more attractive.


Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 am
Report this post
Reply with quote
Post 
rebbonk wrote:
Far gosford street has never been any good as a shopping centre. Even when I was a nipper it was always tat.

I loved the tat of Far Gosford Street, and Gosford Street itself when I was young.It was always like a mystery tour-never knowing what you would find.The pawn shop,
the Scala cinema, the Crown.cinema which we called the Bug hut,where after paying your money the lady who gave us a metal token ran behind an army blanket curtain to take it back and let us in.

I had school friends who lived over shops .behind shops and in the backs of shops which were later condemned- they were mostly in poor condition, but it was homely to many.long before I was born my parents moved from an old Spon Street back to back, to a new council house near Whitley Common, not even on a large estate,with a bathroom, hot water geizer--all they could want, but the closeness had gone.

I'm not saying all this so called renovation didn't need doing in the Gosford streets areas but it's a farce to call it renovation. I've watched it from the back and it's all new build with a joke of original fronts. They've just knocked the soul out of it.
So Burgess will be the same, all the creaky old shops uncreaked and polished out of all recognition.The Sherbourne will lose it's mystery too with a tidy up of it's original bridge. Has anyone looked at it lately? It is one of the only secret magical places left.
I also watched Kirby House gradually almost sink to its knees when I was at school -Council again - then when they got a grant it was restored-another farce.Only the front was left-even then someone stole the wonderful double curved staircase.I never found out whether they got it back.


Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:10 pm
Report this post
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.