Warwickshire Online Chat Forum
https://www.warwickshireonline.com/

IRA Bombing in 1939
https://www.warwickshireonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4659
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Lex [ Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 am ]
Post subject:  IRA Bombing in 1939

I had absolutely no idea that the IRA bombed Coventry: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-28191501

Author:  Lex [ Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:31 am ]
Post subject: 

Some more background to the bombing: http://www.historiccoventry.co.uk/articles/s-shaw.php

Author:  rebbonk [ Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:04 am ]
Post subject: 

Lex wrote:
I had absolutely no idea that the IRA bombed Coventry: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-28191501


They had a second bite in the 70s Lex.

You're not alone in not knowing, there's a Coventry page on facebook where there are many admitting to not knowing!

Author:  Lex [ Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

It got forgotten a week later when war was declared. I hope a memorial gets sorted out.

Author:  rebbonk [ Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Again Lex, I have mixed views. Whilst those that died innocently deserve remembering, a memorial could stoke up long buried distrust and resentments.

I believe (was told by an elderly Irishman) that there was quite a backlash toward the Irish community in the day, just as there was in Birmingham after the pub bombings.

Author:  Lex [ Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Amemorial for the bombing's victims is being planned: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-29975977

Author:  Lex [ Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

The memorial was unveiled today; it looked to be a low key & dignified affair: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-34475372

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/