Thread: Coventry - Redevelopment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Leo,

What is Coventry in general like to live in? I've always been led to believe it's very run down, but I've got be honest and say I've never been to have a look for myself. How big is it too?

When ever I think about Coventry, I think of two things. The first is visiting COventry Cathedral a child, which I have fond memories of. The second is my Granparents telling me about the second world war, the lives in Birmingham at the time but they said they could see Coventry as one giant burning fire. It's so hard to imagine living is such times.

I think it's that night which explains a lot of the brutalist buildings that currently reside in Cov. I hope the redevelopment includes doing something about those.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I think it's that night which explains a lot of the brutalist buildings that currently reside in Cov. I hope the redevelopment includes doing something about those.
    Quite a lot of post-war stuff has been demolished. In general, the trend is UPWARDS, with most developments being 16-20 storeys high. The council recently told Ikea to redesign their new store as it was too bland.

Running on empty

tile hill is fairly pleasant?????

ooh yes - Tile Hill is Coventry's Notting Hill
    Bl**dy awful place imho!!!

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt
    tile hill is fairly pleasant?????
    As you seem unable to read, I shall re-iterate. I said "Tile Hill Village" which is on the border of Coventry/Solihull and is considered a fairly desirable semi-rural area. I did not say "Tile Hill" which covers a rather large area - including the rather notorious "Jardine Crescent" area.
    Last edited by Leofric; 29-03-2006 at 11:37 PM.

Running on empty

apologies, i can clearly read, i can not believe there would be 2 tile hills...even if one is called a village. (calm down, dear..)

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt
    apologies, i can clearly read, i can not believe there would be 2 tile hills...even if one is called a village. (calm down, dear..)
    It's only a commercial:-)

Before "Tile Hill" was built, there was indeed a village/hamlet called Tile Hill.

Similarly for Foleshill, Stoke, Walsgrave, Radford, Longford, Bell Green...There are about four "Stokes" and what is now called the "Centre" of Foleshill is quite a way from what was the old village. Similarly, Allesley was originally a village (Still there) but other areas are called Allesley.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    Sorry for being so abrupt...

Yes, there's a "Tile Hill Village" which is near Tile Hill station... It's quite a way from Jardine Crescent, which is what people generally consider to be "tile hill"... Much of Tile Hill is OK... Fairly average suburbia, with plenty of new houses on the edges.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Olive
    Hi Leo,

What is Coventry in general like to live in? I've always been led to believe it's very run down, but I've got be honest and say I've never been to have a look for myself. How big is it too?
    Coventry's classed as a "Medium sized European City." It's population is about 300,000 - about on a part with Leicester, Nottingham, Cardiff, Bradford, etc. (Although I have seen an "economic sub region" mentioned that has a population of 500,000+)

There's no "general" about it - the city cover's an area that's about 8-10 miles wide. The Southern areas, like Earlsdon, Canley Gardens, bits of Canley, Tile Hill village, Westwood, Stivichal, Finham, Green Lane, Cheylesmore are fairly pleasant - typical suburbia, in some cases, with Earlsdon being community with a strong identity and a popular selection of restaurants and pubs (Including the old Watchmaker's quarter in Chapelfields.) None of these areas are run down, and Kenilworth Road is a magnificent entrance into the city. Allesley Village is a wonderful preserved village on the Western fringes side of the city.

The Foleshill->Bedworth->Nuneaton corridor is one of the most deprived areas in the Midlands, though. Foleshill's main centre is a busy area with a lot of ethnic shops (And some great Sweet centres). However, these areas do look a bit run down. Much of Wyken and Walsgrave are huge sprawls of housing with very little character. Ball Hill is a thriving mini-centre in Stoke, which still retains some character. Some of the old post-war estates are pretty run down and not that great. Much of inner-city Hillfields is being redeveloped.

Compared to other cities, there's very little dereliction - a heap of ugly ringroad and a bland shopping precinct seem be the overriding opinion, but then again, the Cathedral Quarter is magnificant, and there are plenty of old medieval buildings dotted around - you just need to find them.

Culturally, there's the Belgrade Theatre and Warwick Uni arts centre, and a handful of city centre pubs that have music. The Herbert Art gallery has regular exhibitions. Pubwise, some very good olde world pubs (Windmill, Whitefriars, Inspire - in an old spire, and a few dotted around) and some newer 'trendy' bars & restaurants. Tin Angel on Spon Street does a regular music slot. Large leisure complex with clubs and cinemas, and the Colosseum in Hillfields features a lot of well known bands. Lacks variety, though, overall.

Shopping wise, it's pitiful really - no decent department stores, very few independent shops, but all the major chains. Not good for fashion or anything unusual.

I suppose it depends what you want - if you want to live in a more city based environment, then you won't get better than some of the southern suburbs - generally clean, friendly, but you'll pay for it. Very expensive in some places. The North East is a lot more built up, and the housing stock is generally tight packed terraced streets.

In many respects, it's no different to any other city. In some areas, it's doing better, especially in terms of unemployment and crime, which is relatively low. Culturally & aesthetically, it has some way to go. However, the new developments we're seeing all over the place should help.

I don't mind it, really.
    Last edited by Leofric; 27-03-2006 at 11:57 PM.