Thread: Humane meat production

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pillar of the Community

Default Humane meat production

I wasn't sure if a thread on this had already been started so if it has I apologise. I read this in today's Mail Online and have to say I am glad Britain's Chief Vet is voicing his opinion. I think we should follow Denmarks example. This is 2014 and we should strive for modern standards for our animal welfare and for food production. At the very least make sure humanely killed meat is marked as such and Kosher/Halal meat is labelled as such so the public can make an informed choice on what it buys. If indeed it is true that the 3 methods of killing animals were producing meat that gets mixed up together, then I find that very worrying. I don't want to eat meat that has been produced by inhumane methods. Similarly Muslim and Jewish people need to know their meat has had the requisite prayers and treatment. I am sure if any are vets they would know the slaughter methods dictated by their beliefs are inhumane. I understand that Halal meat now receives an immediate post cut stun in recognition of the suffering but this is not so for Kosher meat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ains-vets.html

Pillar of the Community

Have I offended any one by this thread? Please answer if have. I don't mean to but just want to hear other peoples' views on this. A lot of us eat meat and me for example want to know it is treated ( in my view) humanely through its entirety.

I was listening to a report about this yesterday; a rabbi maintained that the animals don't suffer as they fall in unconsciousness shortly after the incision is made. Apparently, some halal butchers have started stunning animals before slaughter though.

Pillar of the Community

Well, scientifically based findings and the scientists that are the vets say they do suffer if not stunned. Who would you think should know best- the vet or the Rabbi? Halal meat is now stunned always after the throat cut is made. If they are now stunning prior to it that is even better.

rebbonk

I think it barbaric the way certain religions slaughter their meat. I see no reason for it in this day and age.

Pillar of the Community

Ditto - we need to follow Denmark's stance on this and do it fast.I'll look out an e-petition about it.

Please sign and share on Facebook if you have an account. So far there are only 20 signatures on this e-petition which closes on 14th March.

https://submissions.epetitions.direc...etitions/46943
    Last edited by Gladys; 07-03-2014 at 11:01 AM.