Thread: European Union

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yes, that seems to be the generally accepted view of things nowadays. We were basically lied to by those in power at the time.

Pillar of the Community

Not a lot has changed then in my view.

Margaret

I have to say that it seems to me that the only guarantee we will get a referendum is if a substiantial number of UKIP mp's get electecd.
    No one has the slightest confidence that the present prime minister really wants to hold a referendum , or if he does he won't fix it in some way.
    Quite the worst governmet we have had since Blair.
    The EU in my opinion is way beyond reform and we now simply have to get out as soon as possible.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    The EU in my opinion is way beyond reform and we now simply have to get out as soon as possible.
    I believe that the EU is too far out of control for reform. I also believe, no matter what the people of the UK (or the rest of the Euro area) want, breaking it up and freeing ourselves from it will be nigh on impossible. - I actually see a civil war type of scenario should the break up occur.

Pillar of the Community

I am sure the Channel five News just said there is going to be a referendum on EU membership. Either they did or its my wishful thinking. Rebbonk, I think now we may be far too deeply into it to make separation possible. If they do hold a referendum I can see some tripping point that will make complete separation impossible.

rebbonk

How many times did Ireland vote until they got it 'right'?

I think it was at least twice - we'll probably have to go through the same thing