Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

rebbonk

Well, the Galley Common residents are a bit upset at the moment...

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Villa...ail/story.html

Wow, the Secretary of State's involved. You'd think there's an election coming up.

Margaret

In Stratford today, I noticed two beggars sitting outside a bank, right by the cash point.
    This is the first time I have noticed beggars in Stratford, has this become a recent thing, or maybe I just haven't noticed. Why is it beggars always have a fag in one hand and a can of booze in the other?

cathidaw

Outside Sainsburys in Stratford sits a man with a dog.People buy him food and stuff from the shop.My granddaughter gets quite indignant when I say he's probably got more money than us. I always allow her to give something (of her own) as I don't want to curb her altruistic nature.
    There is also one in Coventry Stoke outside Tesco .People buy him sandwichesand drinks .He lived in a box in the doorway of HSBC bank and was moved on -after some months.He has now got a brand new tent and is living under the trees at the edge of the council car park.
    How long before others join him.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 17-03-2015 at 03:57 PM.

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Ah, south Warwickshire! Now, had you been in North Warwickshire, perhaps it might have been different?

Warwickshire divide grows say 'experts'
    My green bin disappeared.A new one was delivered in the afternoon. How's that!!

rebbonk

Not bad Cathidaw.

My son had one stolen from Walsgrave, it took our useless council months to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    In Stratford today, I noticed two beggars sitting outside a bank, right by the cash point.
    This is the first time I have noticed beggars in Stratford, has this become a recent thing, or maybe I just haven't noticed. Why is it beggars always have a fag in one hand and a can of booze in the other?

There's one or two beggars in Stratford - the Sainsbury's one, and another one who sits by gates next to Poundland, and yet another who locates himself outside the gates of Holy Trinity on Sunday mornings.

Oh, and there's the drunks who lurk round the market place on Rother Street. But they keep to themselves, and don't bother anyone (ex-mayor Cyril Bennis occasionally has a go at them, and they have a go back; can't say I blame them - I met him once & he's one of those people who most people seem to take an instant dislike to)

Not sure what I'm going to do with the imminent long weekend yet; what's everyone else up to?

rebbonk

Must be honest, until about two minutes before I read this thread I had no idea that it was a bank-holiday weekend. One of the perks (or not depending on your view) of being retired is that these things mean very little. I have all the time in the world to do whatever I want. Even the banks being closed doesn't matter as I can get cash from the supermarket.

However, to answer your question Lex, if we get a couple of nice days I want to take an extended walk along the canal with the dog. I haven't done so yet as the place I intended leaving the canal and picking up the road back has had a bit of a dispute with an idiot land-owner who illegally closed off a footpath. Apparently he's now learned the error of his ways. So Spencer and myself will be exercising and no doubt imbibing at several canal-side pubs.

That's something I often do myself, Rebbonk (although I don't have a dog!) There's a couple of nice stretches of canal in the area with decent pubs just off the tow path; I might take myself for a wonder on Monday....

rebbonk

I recommend a dog Lex. Mine (and the previous one) gets me into all sorts of interesting situations. Spencer is a real ice breaker and talking point. People (especially the ladies!) seem to love him.

The only down side is that there are some pubs that don't welcome dogs, but they tend to be more city centre type venues than canal-side.

Unfortunately, I think that this dog will be my last. Akitas are reckoned to live about 15 years and that will leave me quite an old man. Historically our dogs have had long lives. Oslo was almost 19 and we'd had him 13 years; Willow was about 15 and we'd had her 11 years, so we have reasonable hopes for the present one.

Incidentally, as I write this he's looking at my screen, making his typical 'muttering' and grunting noises, whilst nudging me with his head. He's telling me that he wants a biscuit! - Oh yes, they're all characters with their own personalities.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 27-08-2015 at 08:37 AM.

I've occasionally contemplated getting a dog, but owing to a generally busy life where I'm in and out at all hours, it wouldn't seem fair on the poor pooch who'd get lumbered with me - no regular walks or feeding times!

rebbonk

Yes, I can understand that Lex.

We didn't take our first one until Mrs Rebbonk had stopped work. Other than short interludes after deaths we haven't been without once since.

As you say, you have to be fair to the dog, they're social animals and need company.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    That's something I often do myself, Rebbonk (although I don't have a dog!) There's a couple of nice stretches of canal in the area with decent pubs just off the tow path; I might take myself for a wonder on Monday....
    Well, it started raining here in Stratford about an hour ago, and it's putting me off going for s walk tomorrow (probably be very muddy); I'll have to see what conditions are like tomorrow.

rebbonk

I can't remember about the Stratford canal, but the tow path round here is generally quite good. Though I'll get a right rollocking if I go out with the dog and bring him back soaked through!