Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Hope you make a quick recovery Margaret.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Thanks both. I'm fine , just have a a few grazes .
    Must keep off the G&T.
    Last edited by margaret; 24-07-2020 at 04:19 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Strange situation down my way; partially cloudy sky, but the TV signal keeps cutting out: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...entry-18662082

The problem with digital is that it's either there or it's not. Analogue can be present under far more varying conditions. Something a lot of advocates for digital don't seem to grasp.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

My signal settled down after a while, thankfully.

Weekly shop round Tesco today.

I suspect that Bozo has got masks wrong. People were wearing them, but the complex was very quiet to what I've been seeing recently. I think that rather than encouraging people that a mask makes you safer, it's had the opposite effect. If what I saw today is replicated across the UK, I expect that there'll be a U-turn pretty quickly to prevent more damage to the UK's shopping centres.

I went to Asda on my way home from work a week or so ago and gone are the 8 lanes for funneling people to the store, it was straight in the door so it must be quieter but I wonder if they had a rethink about all the signage, arrows and confuzzling messages about the place. The arrows in the aisles that no one bothered about are gone, there are the green sticks along the aisle that fronts the checkouts and they basically have a simple reminder about social distancing. There are some messages over the tannoy that are reminders but all in all it is much improved. I noticed the odd one making a drama out of getting to the door about forgetting it was that day the masks in supermarkets started, or the huffing and puffing about having to go back to the car for one. I wonder if they would have bothered had the security staff not been there. If the 5 hour bombshell can be dropped on people holidaying in Spain leaving them in a quandary as to the 14 day social distancing when they return, without sick pay, without statutory sick pay, only any annual leave they have left for the year or the time without pay, then watch for the next quick change.
    Cool

Well , I did it again, cut my own hair and its really quite presentable . Pleased with it. Who's gonna look at me anyway.
    I can quite get used to this and save a few bob.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I've been doing my own for years Margaret. I find the key is taking your time and not cutting it whilst it's wet.

Last time in the barber's chair was 2006/7 before I went to Poland. I bought myself a cheap (I think it was about £14) Remington clipper that I still use. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Oddly enough, I do get the occasional remark that my hair is quite trendy for someone of my age! - The combs on the clipper do it, not me.

That's great you do your own hair, and Remington is also good reliable make for shavers too.
    Yes you are right about not cutting hair when wet, and just taking time not rushing. To think all those years I've bee silly to spend money in hairdressers when I could have trained myself. All I have is a simple bob style. Easy to shape, but I don't layer it exactly like they did at the 'Salon'. But then I don't need it necessarily layered.
    I'm not paying £14 or £16 for a 10 minute job at the hair 'Salon'. So with the right equipment , I shall do it myself.

- Lord Byron.

Please don't look this up until you've answered...

Have you ever heard the expression 'wooden nutmeg'? If so, what do you understand by it? - I'm plotting a storyline and am wondering about using the expression as a title.

I've never heard that expression Rebbonk. But me being curious I did look it up .

- Lord Byron.

Autumn's definitely not too far away - I've noticed some leaves turning over the last few days.

Any recommendations for replacement windows firms?

- Lord Byron.

Are you looking at plastic, wood or aluminium, Margaret?

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Are you looking at plastic, wood or aluminium, Margaret?

For my son, he wants uPVC wood effect . if that's possible.

- Lord Byron.