Thread: What's for dinner today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pillar of the Community

Lentils- isn't that what they are? Anyway, Well done Cathidaw, I take my hat off to you. I tried a minimal carb diet- just an odd baby potatoe was the only carb I'd allow myself but I really got withdrawal symptoms and pined for a hunk of bread and cheese. It lasted about 3 months and I slid back but I do intend to do it again; like now.
    This evening will be a spatchcock which I stud through with garlic and then cover with oregano and rosemary served with broad beans and a roasted concoction of peppers, onions, baby toms, black olives.

Pillar of the Community

Does anyone have any inspiration for today's dinner? I am really stuck and can't think what to do. I think I may be a bit lacking in lustre so any ideas would be a help?

rebbonk

Not much help I'm afraid, but after a couple of pints I've got a quiche lined up.

How about pasta & tomato sauce? When I make, I usually chuck a tin of chopped tomato in a pan with fried onion, chopped bacon (if I've got some lying about in the fridge) and other odds/bits and dried herbs knocking about my cupboard.

cathidaw

Wow then, speaking of food, What about today's'happening' .:
    I had soaked some lentils for 2 days to make lentil soup. Now real lentil soup needs celery which I hate , but I had bought some hoping it wouldn't taste. I put the lentils in my pressure cooker- then thought -I'll go on line for a bit-as you do-- I got on line didn't I giggling away at Gladys's-spidery adventures, until I could smell burning. The lentils were nice and black.
    Hey ho-- I thought - these things happen, but I'd better do something with the celery which as I said , I hate. But no... I'd left it in Tesco.
    Dinner today was lovely.Cheese omelette , half of a trifle and a white Magnum.
    I'll bet your mouths are watering.!
    Last edited by cathidaw; 02-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Pillar of the Community

Thanks Rebbonk,Lex2 and Cathidaw. I didn't see your posts as I got sidetracked so had to dash to the shop 10 minutes before it closed. I love the tomatoe pasta dish- often do that one. We ended up with a spatched chicken which I roasted and had baby potatoes, broad beans and home grown runner beans. It was quite yum. I got some rasberries, blue berries and cherries too so all in all, it went down well.

Celery is a strange thing. I do like it but not all the time. Its the best thing to compliment a Bloody Mary or a Virgin Mary. I can't have either without celery salt which is brilliant sprinkled all over potatoes with Cayenne pepper and then roasted. Just add chopped garlic 15-20 minutes before they're done. Hot and spicey and none of the strange taste that celery can add to things so good if you're a celery novice.

Mari

Thumbs up

I love crunchy celery! Have you tried a stalk of celery with cream cheese or peanut butter spread on it . ie. spread in the groove. Delicious!

I always buy British veg and organically grown when I can.