Thread: What's for dinner today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pillar of the Community

Well, that's a pleasant present Lex. Here are a few recipes to look at.http://www.thefield.co.uk/food/recip...-recipes-21762

Personally because they can be over powering if they're hung for a long while. I like them mild so not hung long. Are yours strong or milder birds? In any case, I'd seal them , then wrap them in bacon slices , pop them into a roasting pot with a good glug of red wine and a little chicken stock or water if you don't have enough wine sat on a few rough chopped carrots, celery sticks and an onion halved or quartered. Do the pot up with foil and let them steam in it for a good hour and a half on a medium heat in the oven. 30 mins or so before you're ready for them, open up the foil turn them and let the heat brown them off further. Take them out, let them rest while you strain off the veg from the wine and meat /veg juices in the pot and make a lovely rich gravy or jus to pour over when you eat them. Be careful of any shot of course.I'd do a pile of creamy mashed potatoes and cabbage or spring greens to add to the plate.

rebbonk

I might also be tempted at this Lex

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/3064/...h-ginger.aspx?

rebbonk

Well, the curry is cooked (4 hours in the slow cooker) just the rice to do later.

I think Mrs Rebbonk is going to be a little upset as it's quite hot and spicy... But she chose the sauce! LOL

Thanks for your suggestions! I think I'll go for the casserole option. They were shot last weekend, and are currently in the freezer (after being plucked & gutted - a very pleasant job ) while I decide what to do with them.

Margaret

My son fancied a bit of authentic Scottish haggis today, so bought some from the local butcher. It's nice, but I rather like the vegetarian haggis.

rebbonk

Already cooked the gammon for tonight. I'll do mash, peas and parsley sauce to go with it.

If there's any gammon leftover, I'll do a pie for tomorrow.

rebbonk

Lamb shanks and mash tonight. - Looking forward to this.