Whilst we can't turn back the clock I too remember a time when there wasn't so much to go around. My mother made all of our clothes, my Dad was very much a handyman. He did all the household maintenance including drainage, laying field tiles, roofing, fencing, you name it he did it. Otherwise you needed to pay a tradesman rather a lot of money.

I seem to remember my cycle was a secondhand purchase that he bought for very little money. He completely stripped the bike, spray painted, added new decals, brakes, cables, tyres etc and it was as good as a new one.

When it came to Christmas presents we never, ever asked for the sun, the moon and the stars. Mum would take in some work at home making ballet shoes and the money from that would go towards Christmas presents. One year my sister and I received dolls prams. My Nana made satin pillow shams and covers for the prams as our Christmas presents and old blankets were cut down into dolls pram size and finished off neatly.

Christmas was never about blowing the family budget to smithereens, it was about giving what we could, what could be afforded and appreciating what we had. We also knew the meaning of the word "NO" and didn't try and emotionally blackmail parents into providing a want that really couldn't be afforded.

Perhaps it is time to reflect on days gone by and see what we can learn from the more prudent, thrifty behaviour of our parents and grandparents of yesteryear.