Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

cathidaw

I am reading 'Are you talking to me?'
    by John Walsh
    alife through the movies. How films have an effect on our lives and often influence the way we are.
    Sound boring but its a beautifully nostalgic tale from a young boy as he grows up..
    Bought from 'the works' for 99p instead of 7.99.
    He was literary editor of the Times at one time.

I'm coming to the end of 'The Legends of Dune' trilogy; it's a good read if you're into science fiction, but maybe not amogst the great classics.

rebbonk

Have just finished Focus on Gambling (Lenox E Figgis) - Lots of statistics on the odds of winning (or more likely losing) your bets on several different games and pastimes!

Currently reading Wolf Pack (Gordon Williamson) about the German U boats of WW2. - It's a very interesting read, and goes a lot deeper (sorry!) than I thought it would. I didn't realise that there were so many varieties of submarine or just how extensive the support network was

cathidaw

I'm halfway through 'Do you miss me?' by Karen Rose
    excellent and long murder mystery, and -- rebbonk, I did get 'Round Ireland with a fridge'
    Did nothing no housework or washing up 'til I'd read it.
    Slutty !

rebbonk

Glad you enjoyed it.

Some of my recent reading...

The Hustlers: Gambling, Greed and the Perfect Con (Douglas Thompson) A wonderful look at London life during the 50s/60s with the emphasis on gambling and how our current laws evolved. A wonderful set of colourful, but quite ruthless characters, and some very surprising links to the higher echelons of society.

I won a copy of Poppy Day (Amanda Prowse) but after the first few pages it became clear it wasn't my type of book, so I passed it on to a lady friend.

Business Blunders (John Harvey-Jones, Geoff Tibballs) You really wouldn't believe the stupidity of some companies. Ford and Coke just to name two.

SOE's Secret Weapons Centre: Station 12
    (Des Turner) I stumbled across this one whilst doing some research about a local aerodrome. Quite a fantastic read of the inventiveness of our people in the face of adversity. Being an ex-engineer I thoroughly enjoyed it.

rebbonk

Just finished The Circuit (Bob Shepherd) A very different look at the war on terror from the eyes of an ex-SAS guy involved in the "close protection" circuit, typically looking after media personnel in war torn areas of the middle east.

Looks like (once again) we aren't being told the whole truth by our lords/masters and the media.

An excellent read and a bit of an eye opener.

cathidaw

Anne Robinson
    Story of an unfit mother

Alan Bennet
    Untold Stories.

Am wading through John Grisham's books.

rebbonk

Just finished Elite (Floyd Woodrow and Simon Acland). All about building first class teams from a former SAS member. (Another competition win)

An incredibly interesting read, and quite a revelation in places. To my mind, the authors place a little too much emphasis on personality profiling, but when you consider the SAS and their achievements, maybe they're right? This book certainly highlights why most workplace teams are mediocre at best.

Just started Lorna Doone (Richard Doddridge Blackmore) and to be honest it's giving me a headache. I was lent this book by a friend after discussing English literature one night. Sorry, but the style and language use here are just making this one hard going. I know I won't finish it.

cathidaw

i TOO LOVE THE SMELL OF OLD BOOKS. have a motley collection of original CHARLES DICKENS BOOKS WITH LEATHER COVERS -AND WELL READ They dont smell musty but have rich old bookshop smell. Just read his 'pictures of Italy'
    Get quite a few from WARWICK BUT BOOKSEARCH AT hAY ON wYE.
    I cant imagine the smell of a kindle that age--if they last.
    I'm still gently wading through Alan Bennett's 'untold stories' 635 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Just finished The Great Brain Robbery (K. Allen Saddler). I have no idea where I picked this up, but it was quite a while ago.

An interesting story in the style of Mike Hammer, but set in the UK. Totally enjoyable (if you like US style private detectives) but I felt a little let down by the ending.

The book was written in the 1960's. - Is there anything better than the smell of old books?

rebbonk

Just finished Signal Red (Robert Ryan) - A 'fictionalised' account of the great train robbery. Once I started this, I couldn't put it down. I heavily suspect that this is quite a close truth to what actually happened. It really was a good read.

Just started reading Empire of the Clouds - When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World (James Hamilton-Paterson) Not the easiest of reads, but it makes you wonder just where it all went wrong for the UK. After the war we led the aviation world; perhaps it it wasn't for a couple of stupid government decisions we still would?

cathidaw

Today I have finished reading 'The world according to Clarkson'
    Wild -over the top- outrageous and often
    so funny.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick (the book Bladerunner's based on); it's a book I've struggled to get into, and only persisted with it because it's a short book (<200 pages).

cathidaw

still gently wandering through Alan Bennets 'Untold Stories'
    Will miss it when I've finished.
    In between, I'm reading Peter Kay's Sound of Laughter' Very funny sometimes-a bit contrived.but I'm enjoying it.

rebbonk

Now about halfway through The life of Ian Fleming (John Pearson)

Another book that I picked up somewhere on my various travels but one that I had forgotten about.

An excellent read that gives up many of the secrets as to where the Bond character actually came from. The book covers Fleming the man, not just the writer and reveals several interesting insights. Fleming insecure? - You'd better believe it!

cathidaw

finished Peter Kay YESTERDAY. and today bought from car boot'Oh Carol'. by Carol McGiffin--now on loose women
    Also bought another dvd of 'Sharpe' which I really like.with Sean Bean.

rebbonk

Just finished The Final Judgement (Daniel Easterman)

The third Reich didn't suddenly die at the end of WWII but is alive and well. An interesting thriller that was spoiled (for me) by putting in far too much religious detail.