Thread: Ghost stories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Default Ghost stories

I've noticed a few people finding this site while looking for Warwickshire Ghost stories. So was wondering if anyone had any good ones they'd like to share.

I'm going to look around see if I can find some too.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

oooh great idea. Now that could be a unique selling point - a warwickshire ghost (sub) forum

cathidaw

how about this for a TRUE ghostly tale.

A builder friend bought an old house in chapel street Bedworth a few years ago. After making it habitable he moved in and his 2 year old son had a nursery on top floor.
    They often heard him chattering away as all children do but one day they asked him what he had been talking about the night before as it was a long time before he went to sleep. (He was now 3) . he said, "oh, I was talking to mrs J" and they laughed.
    He then often made comments about what Mrs J had said, such as "Yes I know Mrs J told me", or Mrs J. said--
    After a while things started to happen in the house--not spectacular-. for instance a piece went missing from one of those musical jigsaw puzzles kids have where, when the last piece is put in it plays a tune. They searched everywhere.
    A few weeks later they heard this thing start playing. when they looked the puzzle was complete. They were quite scared especially when the little boy said that Mrs J. had told him that she would find it for him.
    They moved house a couple of months later after checking the recorded history of the house and finding that a Mrs J. had lived and died there
    about 100 years ago.

Running on empty

A few years ago, I was helping a friend rewire a farmhouse in Northampton.
    It was all going very well, untill we had to run some wires under a floor, through a cellar that had been sealed off years ago. Now I am not a coward, but I really didn't fancy it, so he dropped into the cellar, and I passed him stuff and dangled a lead lamp through the hole we had opened up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a woman in a blue and white stripey dress in the porch, which was odd, because both the doofs were locked... I told Nigel and he accused me of trying to wind him up, (the very idea... ) but he did finish off the work in the cellar a bit rapid!
    Over the next few days, both of us saw her, not in any great detail, just a fleeting glance. until... I was running wires in the master bedroom, and I had to go downstairs for some more stuff. When I came back, the door slammed in front of me. No draughts, all the doors and windows were closed. O.K. I thought, i'll go and work somewhere else for a bit. Later on, I noticed the door was ajar, so I knocked(!) and went in and finished the room off. While Iwas working, I explained to an 'empty' room what we were doing, apologised for all the mess, and promised we would put everything staight when we had finished. I don't know if that helped her or me, but I didn't get shut out of any other rooms...
    The next day, I was threading wires on the landing, by the door to the attic, when less than 3 feet away, the dropper on the thumb latch of the attic door lifted, the door opened, and then swung shut again, but the dropper didn't latch properly first time. the latch then lifted again, the door closed and the dropper dropped into place. I went downstairs and Nigel said that 'she' must like the cleaners, because as they turned up, the room warmed up noticibly. His face was a picture when I told he she must have been in with him, and the room would have warmed up as she went off to hide in the attic....
    In all the time I was there, I wasn't in the least bit scared, but I did feel like I was intruding... we both took to talking to her as we would to a 'live' customer, and that really did seem to help. But she never did make us a cup of tea....

cathidaw

My son was doing a survey of an old building in Cryfield Grange
    Tha m\n of the house asked if he would like to see some ancient windows in the cellar which he'd turned into a games room. On the way down there was an old wall which went down so far under the house he said they hadn't even'bottomed' it. As the descended the steps my son felt a great pressure on his chest -as tho' he was being crushed- and was afraid he would stop breathing.but as he went further down the feeling went.
    On the way up again the same thing happened -but only on the same step.
    When he mentioned it the man said that his wife had the same feeling--on the same step and would not go near it
    I have often wondered what awful thing happened there in the distant past
    especially as the house mentioned is near Gibbet Hill

Default West Midlands Ghost Club interest......

Hi,

I've only just signed up to this forum, but my name is Nick and I'm one of the founder members of the West Midlands Ghost Club, which will be celebrating it's 20th birthday next year.

Despite the group title, we're interested in the ghost-lore of the entire Midlands area and have conducted a number of investigations at sites in the Warwickshire region - see the investigations page of our website for specifics - the most recent visit being an overnight stay at Alcester Town Hall (Warwks) on December the 12th........

Needless to say, I hope that there are other forum users who will add to this section of the forum!!

Seasons Greetings to all,

Nick
    The West Midlands Ghost Club - W.M.G.C. Home

Pillar of the Community

Default Ghost stories

I have experienced a few things, some 'explainable' others not. I'm afraid they are not based on Warwickshire. I was a boarder at Wells Cathedral School in Somerset and one morning before school started I went down the hill towards the local shop to buy some biscuits for breaktime. It was not unusual to pass by the Bishop of Bath and Wells or his Dean and that morning, the Dean passed by me on his way I assume back to his house which was the building next door to one of the girls' boarding house. It would have been at about 0815 or 0830. In assembly before classes that morning, the start of which seemed delayed, The Headmaster looking particularly sombre anounced that The Dean had sadly died and had been found in his greenhouse that morning by his wife at around 8am.

If that isn't just abit spooky I'm not sure what is! My Father died when I was there and that Saturday we had a film to go and watch in our school theatre. It was to start at about 5.30 and we were all sitting very quietly in anticipation for it to do so. I was suddenly gripped by a sense of something and had a momentary flash of white light. I recall feeling rather strange- not really tuned in. The evening went on and I thought little more about it. Sunday came and went without anything worth noting. However, on Monday morning, I was summoned to the Head's office where he duely broke the news to me. My Father had apparantly suffered a huge heart attack at about 5 on Saturday afternoon. He was pronounced dead at 5.30 by paramedics called to the scene at our home. (There's more if anyone's interested?)

Pillar of the Community

amgel03, I feel priviledged to have been ' chosen ' / ' gifted ' / ' open ' enough to have received them.I am not sure which it is but maybe some of all of those. I don't and didn't seek any events out, they just happened and I am not left traumatised by them which seems to be how you have been affected. Whilst you haven't expanded on your events which I take as you probably want to put them as far behind you as possible but it really would help you to speak to some one about them so they don't lie festering in your ' psyche cupboard.' Then hopefully if you have enough trust in the person you share them with they will lose the power they have had on you. How does your Partner feel about them?You too are priviledged but I am sure it doesn't feel like it. If its happened once to you then it is likely you'll experience other events because you are 'open' to them.If this happens it would be comforting to know you don't have to fear them. The presence in The Anchor was scarey but I am not fearful to the point I'd never go back. In fact, I'd like to go back to challenge it to see if it happens again just to find out and to cement the fact it was real. These things are often surreal; they leave you wondering even though you know they did happen.

cathidaw

I haven't had any ghostly experiences for ages , but sometimes I have feelings of having been there before. When I went to NEWCASTLE UPON tyne fr instance for the first time.Much later I discovered that my Grandparents had been born there, where the football ground is now.
    Another time I was in an derelict farmyard , with my husband, tending to a poorly horse in an old stable -- as one does at midnight on Christmas eve --whenthe person it belonged to had gone to university and left it with us.
    I felt or maybe had images in my mind of children dressed as they were early in the century with pinnies on, bows in their long hair running about inthecobbled yard.None of them wore shoes so I assumed they were very poor.I always intended to draw the scene but never did.Irecall it now , even down to the rainwater butt under a pipe -which was no longer there, and a dog and kittens.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 20-09-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Pillar of the Community

Yes, I have also had a notion of having been somewhere before except not in this life time. Now you've recalled that memory, Cathidaw, why not draw it? Do you have any idea about the history of that farmyard and the family/ families that lived there?

cathidaw

I am trying to find out from the community centre where I work.There is a thriving genealogy group on the same day.Someone may be interested to find out for me

Pillar of the Community

Hopefully, they'll uncover the story but if they do, please share it. Some County Councils also hold historical archives especially about properties, why not ask yours? You may be referred to the Land Registry though which costs but its still worth a go.