Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is "world-class Stratford-upon-Avon" such a dump?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why is "world-class Stratford-upon-Avon" such a dump?

So bestselling author Germaine Greer raised the question in yesterdays Guardian. Why is "world-class Stratford-upon-Avon" such a dump? Is she correct, and if so what should be done about it?

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/comment/s...ticle_continue

Youch, a little on the harsh side. It misses out some of the good points we have, like the free gardens that are really very nice, and erm other stuff. I thought this quote summed up the attitude of Stratford & Tourist (and locals for that matter) nicely, "grab their money and get rid of them".

I've moaned about this before. But for once it would be nice to think some of that tax money we paid (That is way above inflation), went on thing other than. A) More stuff for tourists and visitors. B) More stuff to make even more money out of us/tourists.

Stratford is going downhill, we are getting more and more housing every day and no more shops. We badly need new and cheaper retail space, but what do we get instead? A new office block that looks like a prison, a new and very expensive Bridge that nobody wants, and considerations for a new civic hall which nobody asked for, on land which would be perfect for more shops and as a bus/rail exchange.
    Reggie. "It's true that every time you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings. But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap snap, and Angel gets set on fire." - Jack Handy

I'd say it's very harsh, Stratford certainly isn't a dump. But it does lack severely in facilities of every kind, and the whole town philosophy seems to be so far behind in every way.

Look at how prosperous and modern Leamington Spa is becoming! OK it still has some bad areas, but the main town is an absolute joy to go shopping in, eat in, and drink as well! Stratford just pales by comparison.

It's a shame when our town has got so much potential to be more.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I used to suffer from amnesia but I've been ok since ???

Welcome to the forums BTW JonnyG!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I used to suffer from amnesia but I've been ok since ???

Default World Class Stratford - Too Late...

To cut a long story short...Stratfordfordians don't feel that they belong. For many years now there's been a 'us and them' situation, leading to no particular sense of community. A feeling that's been fostered by a town council that are unrepresentative and uncaring about the people that live here, both young and old. There has never been any attempt as far as I can remember to bring townsfolk together in show of community spirit. Any major events planned always carry an element of business and therefore profit, or are to do with bringing outsiders (tourists, theatre-goers etc) in.
    Prof Greer is right about many things concerning Stratford, what she can't possibly know (although she touched on it) about is the effort it takes to live in a town that is slowly but surely destroying itself.

Running on empty

she has been wrong in extremis on a number of issues a number of times. dont get me wrong, im not saying she is always wrong but i wouldn't take her word for anything

David1976

I think you people are far too critical. I moved to Stratford in 2006 and quite honestly, I am happier here than I have been for years. I think you take a lot of good points about Stratford for granted.

We have regular buses to many towns and villages (including Coventry and Birmingham) and rail routes to London. The north of Stratford is really developing with new shopping facilities. The May Bird centre is being improved and there are new shops planned for the area in the new housing development by Tesco.

I read in on of the posts that Leamington Spa was being praised. Well, Leamington is worse than Stratford. I'd much rather live in Stratford than anywhere else.

David
    Check Out My Online Shopping Centre
    Dave's Place - Part of the ei42 Shopping Network
    Get One Just Like it totally F*R*E*E of charge
    Ei42.com - Everything on the Internet and 42, the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything

Dexter

With all respect David..you say you moved here in 2006..thats fine..You chose to move to a town with literally hundreds of new houses littered on newly built housing estates. You chose to move to a town with a massively expanding population. You chose to move to a town with huge out of town retail complexes being sprung up...Thats fine. I moved here 18 years ago because I WANTED to live in a small market town with a villagey feel to it which had a sense of local community and thats what I got

The main gripe we have is that this has been literally torn away from us and certainly the democratic wishes of those of us living here have been ignored.

Yes Stratford is a nice place compared to others, but I can assure you NOT as nice as it was..And before you think i'm some OAP that doesn't want any change, i'm far from that not even 45 yet!!!

Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    It's only on returning to Stratford after several months away, have I realised how tatty the town is getting - cracked pavements, dirty streets, crowded, grass verges that haven't been mowed for months (apart from the odd one where a local resident has had enough & done it him/herself), etc. etc. etc...
    I'm starting to come round to thinking World Class Stratford is a good idea, as long as it's well thought out & not just the piecemeal effort it seems to be so far. When is work proper going to start on WCS anyway; or has all the money been spent on thinking about it?
    Another thing; Stratford really IS a very expensive place. I saw some British beer for sale in New Zealand, and it wasn't too much more expensive than buying it in a shop in Stratford - only about £1.20 more, not bad considering it had been transported half way around the world!!
    Have you not noticed the new bicycle racks in Bridge street unveiled to much fanfair..The first tangeable results of WCS!

Unregistered

Unhappy World Class Stratford

The Council and the World Class committee have yet to prove to residents and visitors that they understand what makes Stratford 'Stratford'. They seem to think that turning Stratford into a clone town of cement and steel, adding fairground attractions, and ruining anything that's good (ie the natural beauty of the Bancroft Gardens, which they are turning into a city centre garden at great expense).

Germaine Greer is too near the knuckle for many.

Administrator

Unregistered, I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. I for one am not looking forward to the giant fairground wheel, and all the temporary stalls which will be thrown up around it. Another big eyesore, it's bad enough that if from approach Stratford from the bridge, you are greeted with an ugly merry-go-round and garish children's swings.

Stratford's natural beauty is being eroded at an alarming rate. I'm almost 100% certain the next to go will be the big open space of grass opposite the Bancroft. That will either (and most likely) more rabbit warren housing, or more gigantic retail buildings which only chain stores can afford.

Personally, I think the damage done to Stratford over the last few years is totally irreversible. The destruction of the Bankcroft was the final straw for me. Increasingly, I just don't want to live here any more, and it's a sentiment many of my friends (the one's who haven't already left) share.
    Last edited by Will; 25-06-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Dexter

The fairground wheel isn't going to happen..The planning people in the council rejected it.

With reference to the Bancroft, my sentiments entirely..When the history of Stratford gets updated a brass plaque should be erected at the entrance to the Bancroft "the plaque of shame" with all the names of all the District Councillors who represented Stratford when the decision was taken to destruct the gardens, so all can see for posterity

To my knowledge NOT ONE COUNCILLOR spoke out publically in the meetings or tried to get it stopped..

And as for the idiot "Les" who is in charge of the district council, if even 10% of his utterings as reported in the press are true, with people like this in charge is it any surprise what has happened????

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    The fairground wheel isn't going to happen..The planning people in the council rejected it.
    That's at least some sanity at last; I suppose even a broken clock is right twice a day.

While we're on the subject, I also think the new RSC is going to be an eyesore too. Mainly that tower, which just looks like those practise towers you see at fire-stations. The rest of the building is pretty much going to look the same as it did before, with some glass thrown in. When I think of the opportunity wasted here, the 'world class Stratford' lot keep going on about having something in Stratford that will iconic. But no, they knock most of it down to build is back into the same uninspiring giant warehouse that it was before.

Ok, I'm on a full rant now. I just drove past the Maybird center and the boards have come down and we can see what's been built. All they've done is added half a dozen more warehouses on the end of the others (only chain stores will be able to afford these, in fact one has already moved in, like we don't have enough already), and placed about three small building near the road. They look suspiciously like they're only use will be for more fast food restaurants. That mixed with yet more rabbit warrens being build next to them, and the wonderful cheap hotel being built down the road. At least they've planted some trees.

World ass Stratford more like.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

I have recently become a member of Stratford Voice. These guys get to the bottom of things. The shopping areas are one of their current projects - found out at the AGM. Its worth joining if you believe Stratford is worth saving

Chatterbox

And here's me thinking it was just North Warwickshire Borough Council that was useless incompetant and idiotic. S Stratford is being neglected too. Where is our council tax going? Cracked pavements, uncleaned streets, unkept grass and gardens that they'd rather get rid of than maintain. Makes me wonder if this is a countrywide problem.
    Madhatter

Default Why Stratford is such a dump?

Germaine Greer was not wrong - Stratford is slowly becoming a dump. Why?
    Because World Class Stratford is led by Councillors who do not live near or understand why people have been coming to Stratford. They make decisisons based on what they believe are quick wins. You can see all the quick wins around Stratford, from the ruined Bancroft Gardens to the sprawling housing estates. The icing on the cake will be the armies of wheelie bins next month