View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:49 pm



Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Life Expectancy in Coventry 
Author Message
Pillar of the Community
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 14165
Location: Stratford
Reply with quote
Not surprising really; statistics relating to affluence and life expectancy are widely published: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-news-life-expectancy-poor-16320139


Mon May 27, 2019 10:55 am
Report this post
Profile
Pillar of the Community
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 pm
Posts: 9599
Location: Coventry
Reply with quote
Post 
It's actually quite interesting to delve into statistics like this. You'll no doubt find that employment has a big bearing on the outcome.

Sadly though, we are all too often only given the headline 'facts'.

_________________
Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.


Mon May 27, 2019 11:36 am
Report this post
Profile
Reply with quote
Post 
I really don't think we can go by these statistics as reported.
I may have mentioned before that when I was a lass I grew up in Scotland, we were not well off, there was five of us, and my dad was a miner, worked at the local pit, we were in a rented council house, mum stayed at home. We all had hand me downs clothes in our school years. But I must say how well mum fed us all, we had everything from the local farms, meat , eggs, veg, plus a vegetable garden my dad had. We had a great outdoor life as kids we were never in except mealtimes. My dad died when he was 80 and my mum died age 94, so that kind of scuppers the idea of the poor dying young. We grew up healthy, here I am today, with no worrying health problems, except the only pills I take is Blood pressure. so far I have gotten off light as far as health issues.
I think a healthy life style is largely exercise and diet if it is thought through and budget properly, you can eat at least one well balanced meal a day, and a good breakfast on small earnings. As a pensioner , I don't need a lot to eat. So why can't people do that today, always puzzles me.


I read some awful stories on the media about single mothers can't feed their children, they haven't enough money for food, etc.. Well for the life of me I cannot understand this, where is the children father half the time? They always blame the government for the rise in poverty, when in reality it is the choices one makes in life that can bring about their own poverty.
I don't want to sound mean and ignorant ,but I really need to understand why these people feel so hard done by.


Tue May 28, 2019 4:37 pm
Report this post
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.