View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:06 am



Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Making wine and stuff. 
Author Message
Reply with quote
Any one here make wine?
I used to make it years ago-always having some waiting in the pipeline. I don't normally drink but found it exciting making our own.The best one ever was rowanberry-we had 3 trees then.It smelled so awful for the first few weeks I had to apologize if anyone came and the kids wouldn't bring their friends in. then it suddenly changed. I've tried lots of wines especially orange
The reason I'm on about it----6 months ago I made some pineapple and lemon gin. At least -I used a bottle of gin , a large pineapple a lemon and half pound of of sugar. Today I tried it out on some friends and myself, and it is wonderful. It's been a good day.! avery good day
Tomorrow I'll make some for Christmas. I'm also making blackcurrant brandy the same way. and lemon and ginger vodka.

Anyone got any good ideas?


Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:47 pm
Report this post
Reply with quote
Post 
Many years ago I used to make my own alcohol. Wines, beers, ciders, spirits! But I no longer have the time, inclination or the space.

I used to make a barley wine that would 'blow your socks off'. - It was really potent.

There was a guy I worked with taught me all about doing it, though I guess some of it was quite illegal.

Whilst I like alcohol, the problems I have with gout have seriously curtailed my drinking.

As for ideas, I always liked the ciders. They were nice and refreshing.


Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:17 am
Report this post
Pillar of the Community
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 14160
Location: Stratford
Reply with quote
Post 
I made blackberry gin a couple of years ago. It wasn't brilliant, being my 1st attempt at it, but the blackberries made a fantastic crumble when the gin was done.


Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 pm
Report this post
Profile
Reply with quote
Post 
I strained the residue which had been soaked in gin for 6 months, pressed it into a flat tray and poured hot melted dark chocolate over it, scored into squares.When cool it went into the fridge..........but not for long.
Quite spectacular sweets.
Beats crumble any day.
My son in law's blackcurrant brandy sweets were even better. Nice for a gift.


Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:59 pm
Report this post
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.