Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is "world-class Stratford-upon-Avon" such a dump?

cathidaw

madhatter ,
    I believe that the councillors in Stratford are the same ones who have moved on from here, (here being Bedworth and Nun. council) leaving a big muddle of unfinished chaos behind them. When it gets so bad. and they think "Duh!! ,now what shall we do" they will move on- with the usual handshake to mess up another town.
    Surely there can't be two lots of identical idiots. Or perhaps on reflection there are , Coventry is not far behind .

Pillar of the Community

Default Gladys

Well it would seem our Council from Hampshire-Havant may have been working in two camps; Warwickshire and Hampshire. You are describing very similar shambles. Is it a spooky coincidence or did they all go to the same 'council school'?

Pillar of the Community

Default Gladys

I've been thinking back in time to when I visited Stratford several times with my school to see various Shakespear productions. What have they or are they doing with The Globe? I drove past in April and it looked rather like a bomb site. Is it going to be OK? It looked worryingly as though it was being knocked down.Reassurance required.

Administrator

Do you mean the Shakespeare Theatre Gladys?
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Pillar of the Community

Default Gladys

What a relief, I thought you'd all been washed awah! Yes, I think I do mean The Shakespear Theatre. (not completely sure as I was a youngster who was at boarding school and hailed from abroad- of English parentage- well Mother is a New Zealander- does that count?!) But still your council is behaving like a clone of ours. From one from the South- well I'm not origionally but it is home now, I think you have a lovely part of the country to be proud of. I realise the Councils who 'police' it may be a different thing but still, its one of the most beautiful parts of England.

Administrator

I know for a fact our council's only interest is in making more money and attracting visitors (which is ironic, because so far their greed has only served to stop people coming) for the town - and lining their own back pockets in the process I imagine. Where as a council's priority should be 'what can we do for the people who live here?'
    --==Forum Admin Will==--

Default why Stratford is such a dump?

The planning department do not appear to understand what makes Stratford 'Stratford'. Have you seen the giant plastic Buddah sign on the Laughing Buddah restaurant in Greenhill Street? Seems its got permission so the planners must believe this is World Class. Dont know whether to laugh or cry.
    Perhaps they have got Stratford confused with some other town ie Halesowen?

Pillar of the Community

Default Gladys

Is this an attempt at being PC- how sad. Most English asian people will find this stupid.

Thumbs down Backward Stratford

Stratford Is backwards when it comes to wheelchair access obviously still stuck in the days of old William Shaky cause I couldn't use the toilet in the train station cause there is a step and my chair is electric so I can't do wheelies! No toilet on the train either with wheelchair access! The buses are inaccessible to Alcester aswell and Stagecoach have told me to wait until 2012 at a bus stop! So I won't be visiting Stratford until 2012 and to be honest the community links bus needs 3 days notice, which really upsets me and takes away my freedom to be spontaneous! It cost 19.10 to get a taxi to Alcester and it's only an 8 mile journey, that is the rate the council says the cabs have to charge! I would love all the councilors to end up in a wheelchair cause it could happen to anyone at any time! I think they are motivated for self gain! I suppose the functional aspect of the town is not high on the agenda, they could afford it but hey not if they are selfishly motivated! I'll just pee in public next time!

Default Help with research

Im currently a student from the University of Birmingham doing research into the tensions between heritage management and the tourist industry. I notice that most of the blogs are from 2006, so I was wondering if opinions are still the same concerning the World Class Stratford Initiative? I've had responses from the council recently and these all seem pretty positive, so was wondering what improvements/drawbacks residents have seen?

I was also looking for opinions on how Stratford is marketed and how authentic you feel the town is as one academic ive come across has described it as 'a three dimensional stage set for tourism', do you agree with these strong views?

Replys would be great

Many Thanks

In a nut shell, I rarely venture that way. Parking is an issue and the roads are generally congested. Buses aren't something I would use by choice, some of the drivers are like black cab drivers and you have to hold yourself firm in the seat or you bounce over the speed humps and all lean heavily to the side as they take corners. - No thanks.

A shame, because Stratford did have a lot to offer locals and visitors.... But now ...
    Cool

cathidaw

[QUOTE=RMcGann;11111]Im currently a student from the University of Birmingham doing research into the tensions between heritage management and the tourist industry. I notice that most of the blogs are from 2006, so I was wondering if opinions are still the same concerning the World Class Stratford Initiative? I've had responses from the council recently and these all seem pretty positive, so was wondering what improvements/drawbacks residents have seen?

I was also looking for opinions on how Stratford is marketed and how authentic you feel the town is as one academic ive come across has described it as 'a three dimensional st age set for tourism', do you agree with these strong views?

Councils are aways positive,especially to researchers even when things are going badly. They are blind to the realities of their towns. Look at Coventry and their disgraceful pothole problem, which they are always saying is" in hand'. To hear their spiel we are all living in Utopia

Thanks for the replys I understand that councils present a different picture and its good to get different opinions. To Lex 'there's a pedestrianisation project starting soon, which'll make things worse', I was wondering in what ways you think this will be worse for the town? And is it right to say that Stratford Voice/Society hold the same views for the majority of residents?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mari View Post
    Are there any plans to upgrade Stratford railway station?
    Well lots of people would like to see the Railway station on the surrounding cattle market turned into a central hub for the trains and buses. It would make a lot of sense, which is probably why it hasn't been considered. Personally I'd like to see this done, and any spare space left turned into grass-lands and trees. Yes completely unprofitable beauty and nature!

But no, I understand that it is going to be (yup you guessed it) more houses.

I also heard there was going to be a Steam Museum built opposite the train station as well. This seemed like a brilliant idea! WHich is also why it probably hasn't happened either.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--

Stratford District Council is splashing out ANOTHER 90,000 replacing these tacky lights. Why the hell can't they just spend a couple of thousand pounds ripping the damn things up and resurface the bridge, saving the taxpayer a fortune: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...it-cost-90000/

rebbonk

Looks unfit for purpose. Take the company concerned to task. - Though I do agree it looks very down-market and cheap.