Thread: Lottery Win Scam

Default Lottery Win Scam

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Lex, I think there are enough warnings about scams like this, but people still fall for it without smelling a rat!
    Sometimes I lose sympathy.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

There's a big part of me that wonders how people can be stupid enough to fall for things like this. On the other hand, if you're elderly/doddery or don't have full faculties, it's easier to fall into traps like this.

I think if an email catches you at the wrong time (you're busy or under stress) almost anyone could be caught out.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

I've just had a very credible email, allegedly from Amazon. They tell me I'm due payment under the KDP scheme (authors' royalties) and could I please verify my banking details. As I've just completed a US tax exemption for Amazon, you can see how this has come at a time where it might be easy to be caught!

Of course, I've been and verified things (I'm not missing out on my royalties again, Amazon had over £100 of my money at one point!) but not by the clickable links in the email.

As I said previously, if one drops in at the right time, most of us could be caught.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

There may be exceptions if you have been dealing with companies , but you would know if that payment transaction has been done and dealt with and in your case Rebbonk, your receive royalties and would set alarm bells ringing set you scratching your head and investigate further, etc. I think I would know if I was owing money or not.

But In the case posted by Lex. This lottery scam it clearly smells of fraud. Via email or phone.

I mean who would fall for this........... They use their powers of persuasion to make their target believe the story even if they haven’t knowingly entered a lottery.

They typically ask the ‘winner’ to keep their success secret, but need money to cover taxes or to ensure the ’winner’ is authorised to collect their cashpot.

It is deeply troubling that folks fall for this BS. If a person is vulnerable and a bit simple then they should check with a family member or carer, etc.

I can't believe that all residents over the last 3 months who were duped were all a bit gaga!
    Last edited by margaret; 20-11-2020 at 07:48 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

The basic human trait of greed, Margaret.

There is a well-known scam, the 419 scam. I was bored and played the scammer along for weeks. I even sent him pictures of 'me' (actually an old page 3 girl). Eventually, I got bored and put an end to it. But it was fun at the time and whilst he was focused on me he wasn't trying it with others. The details of my 'scamming the scammer' featured on the 419 baiters page for quite a while. I don't know if they're still there.