Thread: The Rise and Fall of the RSC

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Exclamation The Rise and Fall of the RSC

This could be devastating for Stratford tourism and in general..
    Personally, we used go and enjoy going about 20 years ago, but really we have been tracking and tracing its headlong decline over the years since.
    Its not so much that the RSC had a bad business model, it seems to me it did not have a business model at all. They aggressively pursued a sort of social justice virtue signalling agenda, which was not only mildly offensive at times to anyone with an abiding interest in history and culture but also financially stupid, because they were only catering for a tiny minority, The plays were being quarried for political point scoring and agenda driven themes, which has nothing to do with Shakespeare.

https://leamingtonobserver.co.uk/new...XRnsX5dglZsHeg
    Last edited by margaret; 08-10-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I was surprised that the RSC is claiming it's short of money, especially with all the assets it owns & has been able to afford to buy over the last few years; not to mention the 'refurbishment'.
    The company's whole purpose seems to be to milk as much money as is can from anyone they can; I always assumes it was sitting on a fortune.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Yes and they also got a huge grant to destroy the facade!
    The land along there was gifted by the Flowers Brewery family, and the money for the Swan Theatre was gifted by an American billionaire. When you look at the way these people have destroyed what is a world class franchise , it makes you want to weep.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

They may well be asset rich but cash poor. Plenty of companies go out of business due to running out of cash rather than having no assets.

In business there are 2 firm rules. 1) Cash is king. 2) Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.