Thread: Which Fuses

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Which Fuses

Ok fellows of the forum. Is it ok to use a 5amp fuse in a plug, when when it says on the plug 3amp? It is for the use of my laptop. Thanks.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Yes.

It just gives you slightly less protection. Don't worry though, the laptop likely has fuses inside that will protect it.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Yes.

It just gives you slightly less protection. Don't worry though, the laptop likely has fuses inside that will protect it.

Thanks Rebbonk, even though I don't understand about fuses.

“I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I can give you a whole day's lecture on fuses, if you want? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I can give you a whole day's lecture on fuses, if you want? LOL
    Its good to have that kind of knowledge. I shall need it in baby steps.

- Lord Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Its good to have that kind of knowledge.
    I started my working life as an aircraft electrician. LOL - It all went downhill from there

The fuses kept fusing, so my Apple laptop is now now in to have new batteries as the warning sign came up to Change batteries. It will be 5 days or so to get it done by our local chap. Meantime he has given me an old knacker to get by with, in the name of Dell Vostro 1015. It will do, but i had a job finding the slider bar to turn down the brightness of the screen, which I managed in the end out of sheer determination. The keys have no option on them to adjust brightness, how stupid is that! I had to get into god knows what settings and control panel, searching around in device manager, couldn't find anything. Then I looked at an unlikely option into Windows Mobility Centre, and there it was staring me in the face, and indicator to adjust brightness!

Now I shall have lunch!
    Last edited by margaret; 12-06-2020 at 01:08 PM.

- Lord Byron.

Sounds like your battery developed an internal short-circuit. Rechargeable batteries do that a lot. It often helps prolong their life if you let them run down and recharge them once a week or so. Leaving them on 'float' charge permanently isn't the best thing to do.

I hate Dell. Due to company policy I was forced into buying 25 machines from them. Not one lasted 12 months without problems, some even had 2 keyboards in that time.