Thread: WiFi connection.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default WiFi connection.

My recent problem is WiFi connections, it keeps changing to some other BT WiFi with FON, something I have never heard of and it is open, or not secure.

My WIfI Internet connection is VM -virgin media, and now and then this BT WiFi with FON seems to override my VM connection, causing me to be disconnected.

Her is an illustration if allowed, I can always delete again for security reasons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by margaret; 27-04-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Margaret, check that you haven't got 'automatically connect' set to anything other than your intended VM connection, and make sure your VM is identified as 'automatically connect'. I've had this in the past, and my system would select the strongest signal that was not password protected.

'automatically connect' may be annotated differently on IOS, but I guess you get the drift.

What is BTWifi-with-FON?

Fon is the world’s first global wi-fi network and aims to give all its members access to wireless broadband wherever they are in the world. Since March 2009, all new BT Broadband customers are automatically members of the Fon community and agree to securely share a portion of their wi-fi bandwidth through a separate channel on their hub.

Sharing your wi-fi with Fon is safe and secure, and you won't even notice when others are connected because Fon only uses a tiny portion of your bandwidth.

In return, you can use the world's largest wi-fi network for free. That's over 20 million wi-fi hotspots around the world.

Participating BT Hubs are known as BTWifi-with-Fon hotspots.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 27-04-2020 at 10:33 PM.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Yes, it it set to automatically join this network, which shows my correct WIfI ID address .

I've never had issues before, this BT thing is new to me. I don't even know what a hotspot is. I can't understand why it is open. not showing with a padlock.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

So much for all those satellites orbiting the Earth supposedly giving us faster connection to the internet , load of old humbug!
    Last edited by margaret; 28-04-2020 at 10:06 AM.

- Lord Byron.

It's a free (hence unlocked) wifi hotspot. I have one near me, it's hosted by a local hotel. Your's may be a new hosting from a nearby business.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    It's a free (hence unlocked) wifi hotspot. I have one near me, it's hosted by a local hotel. Your's may be a new hosting from a nearby business.
    Probably a pub, or school, or library, we have close by. Or there might be a hub in town for students, now that I think about it, there is Something called, Umbrella Broadband for students. But they would be on lockdown at the moment?
    Last edited by margaret; 28-04-2020 at 01:51 PM.

- Lord Byron.

Thanks Rebbonk , I have learnt something new.

- Lord Byron.