Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

A lot of people think he's a waste of time as an MP. Unfortunately, Stratford's so blue, he's unlikely to ever be voted out.

I'll declare here and now, I'll not be rushing to take any vaccine.

His words were a veiled threat. - Have it or face the (non-medical) consequences! With something like 30% of the population not happy about any vaccine, that kind of coercion is going to be counterproductive. He may hail from a region where diktats are issued, the UK is very different.

His words may well come back to haunt him.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

The vaccinations have started, but it'll be months before my turn come around: https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/ne...19-jab-3061276

I'm a long way down the list, Lex. I'll not be rushing to take it during 2021. I want to wait and see what happens.

I'm surprised at the positive response so far; the media generally seems to prefer running things down.

I suspect that they've been leaned on, Lex. If you don't cooperate you'll get no more exclusives... etc.. The government are determined to press on with this.

In other news, I see that the ONS have screwed up. They were reporting double the likely true level of infection just before Boris's second lockdown. They've just corrected things. Having worked with them, I'm not surprised. My experience of them was mistake after mistake.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

The last vaccine/inoculation I had was when my family emigrated to Canada in 1966, I don't know or remember if this was against smallpox, I must find out. Another immunisation jab against Hepatitis B, I had to have as NHS policy for hospital healthcare workers.
    I have never had the flu or flu jab, nor am I about to be a guinea pig for the latest vaccine.
    Last edited by margaret; 09-12-2020 at 02:53 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    In other news, I see that the ONS have screwed up. They were reporting double the likely true level of infection just before Boris's second lockdown. They've just corrected things. Having worked with them, I'm not surprised. My experience of them was mistake after mistake.
    I've read/heard about incorrect statistics being released, and quietly corrected, a couple of times during the pandemic. It destroyed what little faith I had in official information. I usually take the approach that the truth is somewhere between what the Daily Mail & BBC say.

Stratford District Council's abandoned it's legal action against the government. Perhaps a bit of pressure was applied behind the scenes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-55247471

"Well, it's only for a couple of weeks..." - As always, politics is a dirty business. I wonder what the carrot was?

More money in the budget next year? Or maybe they were told not to make life difficult for Nadhim Zahawi?

Coventry, Solihull & Warwickshire councils requested to be considered together when the Tiering decision was made, to avoid being lumped in with the West Midlands (surprising, considering the whole West Midlands Combined Authority thing). A ploy which didn't have the desired effect: https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/he...ctions-3064591

There are mootings that next week we could be downgraded to tier2. Most pubs/clubs would rather remain in tier3 as they get more help.

A lot of pubs round my way won't bother opening under Tier 2 - nobody's going to want to fork out for a meal if they fancy going out for a quick couple of pints.

Apparently, in some tier2 areas, the police have been enforcing the rules rather enthusiastically.

"Finished your meal, Sir? Time to go home." - No having a relaxing drink afterwards.

One tactic I've heard of being used is people turn up, eat half their meal, and then ask for the rest to be heated up later on in the evening so they can enjoy a few drinks.