Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Look at how easy we surrendered our freedoms with this lockdown business. Scared people don't think things through properly.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

What I don't want is for vaccines to be made compulsory. I won't be one of their guinea pigs!
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I always find it strange that whenever a 'bad' disease starts to affect the 1st world, the time taken to develop vaccines suddenly drops from years to weeks.

Developing anything medical in short time scales worries me. There could be all sorts of problems down the line. Thalidomide anyone?

Like you Margaret, I'm not keen on being a guinea-pig.

A friend of mine was telling me the other day he nearly lost his wife after she'd been given some new arthritis drug. Apparently, the drug worked by 'adjusting' the body's autoimmune system and it left her with virtually no ability to fight diseases off.

Mrs R was given drugs she ought never to have had. She was unknowingly used as a guinea-pig a few years back. The consultant nearly had a fit when she went down with shingles.

I'm afraid I don't really trust a large slice of the medical profession, especially as I'm getting older and am often seen as a liability to society.

Have received an email and a follow up from FMLAsource.com with attachments which I haven't opened. When I checked the email address they used for me was slightly tweaked with a . in the middle of my name. The subject was Leave Decision Letter. As yet, have done nothing with it because I want to check out a couple of other details on it.
    Cool

I did a Google search and found the name on FB - in America and FMLA is US labour law so on that basis I would need to rocketed to the rubbish bin.
    Cool

Another thing that has changed with Coronavirus is the increased use of card payments as a more hygienic way of making a payment. I wonder if, whenever that might be, everything is lifted are all those using cards as a means of paying will return to cash or is it as it seems becoming less used and as time goes by maybe disappear altogether.
    Cool

I'm a cash-only person where I can. I don't trust the powers that be, I don't trust the banks and I value the privacy and anonymity that cash gives me.

An old guy I used to work with used to have a very interesting saying, "There are two things in this life you can trust. Your mother and the pound in your pocket. Neither will let you down." Maybe not 100% but close enough for me.

£1m feels like a token gesture; it won't go too far: https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/ne...proved-2658646

What most people don't realise, it's the small businesses that are the backbone of this country. Let them whither at your peril.

I'm with you Lex, it's a start, it helps but it's nowhere near enough.

A perception I can never seem to quite shake off is that 'big business' employs most of the workforce, but this is far from the case.

It's very far from reality Lex.

From the Federation of small businesses website...
    At the start of 2019 there were 5.82 million small businesses (with 0 to 49 employees), 99.3% of the total business. SMEs account for 99.9% of the business population (5.9 million businesses).
    SMEs account for three fifths of the employment and around half of turnover in the UK private sector.
    Total employment in SMEs was 16.6 million (60% of the total), whilst turnover was estimated at £2.2 trillion (52%).

The silver lining to the situation: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...-next-18257792
    Last edited by Lex; 15-05-2020 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling

<applause>

I've not watched it for years, but what will they use to replace it in the schedules? The great unwashed will not be happy!

Especially as Eurovision's been cancelled as well.