Thread: More and more police to be equipped with tasers

Default More and more police to be equipped with tasers

We all heard that more and more police officers are being equipped with taser, but what we dont hear about is how many people die as the direct result of being shocked by these weapons. With what I saw of a police officer liberally spraying someone with CS spray, do we really want people like this armed with something as awful as a taser gun?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I used to suffer from amnesia but I've been ok since ???

Running on empty

yes we do. if any police officer misuses any of the equipment issued to them, they are up for diciplinary action in no time. given the number of assaults on police officers and the use of illegal firearms, i think we are getting off lightly if a few have tasers.

Muppet

Trouble is, a disciplinary action won't bring back any lives that maybe lost. Everyone remembers the shooting of that guy who had a piece of wood in a bag. Not to mention that guy who was recently shot at a train station.

While I'd like the police to be better protected, if innocent lives are lost as a result, it's hard to condone for me.

Running on empty

surely, the two shootings mentioned are a case for tasers, not against them?

I'd say both those shootings are a case for the police not being able to shoot people full stop.

My main problem is not so much the tasers themselves, as they are definately preferable to guns, even if there is still a risk of them killing people. My problem is the competency of the police who are being put in charge of them, they have clearly demonstrated recently, a distinct lack of ability to handle fire arms of any description.

Since they probably believe that tasers are non-lethal, they will probably be quicker to use them as well. So incidents of accidental killings may rise as a result.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I used to suffer from amnesia but I've been ok since ???

Running on empty

if no tasers, and no firearms, how would you suggest the ever increasing numbers of armed criminals are bought to book? i believe they have tried reasoning with them, wagging fingers, and threats of loss of benefit.
    in an ideal world, i would agree there is no place for the police to use force, but then in that ideal world, there is no need for police either. i cant see how we get to the ideal, if society cannot use appropriate level of force to aprehend those who break the law.

Running on empty

reality check... i've just had need to visit warwick police station, and the sign on the door said closed for lunch - back at 3! i think the police should be armed with lots more police!!!

Administrator

I think on that, we can all agree.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.