Thread: Weekend Break

Default Weekend Break

I fancy having a weekend away, and want to venture beyond the borders of Coventry & Warwickshire (surely not!!). Where do people go for a short break?

Had a couple of decent times in Norwich and Edinburgh.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Minehead, you can walk round the coastal footpath to Porlock, that is beautiful and peaceful. There is also the Quantock hills I lived near there and love and have walked there many times, but I can't climb now. I have many beautiful memories of Somerset .

Chepstow, walk down the hill past the castle over the bridge and up the steep walk on the other side, follow the sign posts into the Forest of Dean, which has stunning views over the River Wye and Tintern Abbey and then walk down through the forest into Tintern and if desired stay overnight. Very nice weekend break .

Wales.
    You could try also further into Wales going to Abergaveny and then getting a trip out on the Brecon Steam Railway. My husband and son did it a couple of years ago and was amazed , because he thought that the steam railway went only about a mile ago, but in fact it goes about 9 or 10 miles along side a lake, and then returns. They said it was very enjoyable.

Scotland.
    If you Want to go to Scotland Edinburgh is another beautiful city to visit, but getting a bit pricey with the rail fare. But there are some very , very nice hotels and guest houses. And lots to see and absorb.
    Last edited by margaret; 20-01-2020 at 01:20 PM.

For Edinburgh I'd fly it's less hassle.

Another thought is Belfast, I spent a few very good days there.

If you like relaxation and beach walks, Wells Next The Sea in Norfolk.

Like the sound of Minehead. I went there a couple of times when I was a kid, it'll be interesting to see if it's changed much.

Looks like the start of a plan, Lex!

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    For Edinburgh I'd fly it's less hassle.

Another thought is Belfast, I spent a few very good days there.

If you like relaxation and beach walks, Wells Next The Sea in Norfolk.

I agree that air travel would be optimal - in theory.
    The problem is that air travel has been effectively stymied by a double whammy, of terrorism and the security state that has been put in place in response to this. For instance, you only have to look at the whole process to be gone through at airports which include arriving two to three hours before the flight, and then the most intrusive and really quite astonishing personal searches. This alone I think would be enough to indicate that air travel cannot really survive as a viable form. Problems of globalisation and political issues mean that air travel and airports are going to be the foci of problems for many years to come. I would also add to this the fact that in my humble opinion air travel is not safe.

Just to finish another point that about two years ago, my husband did this calculation whether would be quicker and simpler to travel to Edinburgh by plane, for that he had to get himself 3 hours early at Birmingham airport, and then was subject to virtually a strip search and X-ray. No doubt all of this is necessary, and then the same delays arriving in Edinburgh. So it would have been quicker by train though more expensive. All in all it takes the same amount of time on the train as getting there by plane, 5 hours. His comment on returning was, never again. It was extremely stressful and exhausting for him with all the hassle of getting through customs etc.
    Last edited by margaret; 22-01-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Valid points Margaret.

Last time I flew up there was over 10 years ago, and I suppose security has been tightened somewhat since then.