Thread: Aqua Restaurant - Coventry

Next Train's Gone!

Default Aqua Restaurant - Coventry

Aqua is a new Lebanese and Italian restaurant on Gosford Street in Coventry. I visited it a week ago with some friends. They've renovated the old "Gringos" bar and it's very nice inside. We all tried Lebanese food, and were all very impressed by the food - salad, breads and lamb in spices and sesame oil. Recommended. Nice prices as well.

The only downside - the service was a bit slow, but the staff were very apologetic and made sure we were OK.

Coventry is really beginning to change for the better now.

Unregistered

Does the new Aqua restaurant allow/serve alcohol?

Thanks

Administrator

That sounds good to me, what's a typical Lebanese meal?
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Unregistered

no alchohol

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    That sounds good to me, what's a typical Lebanese meal?
    Something laced with spices - some hot - that cause your eyes to water?
    Cool

Administrator

Like the sound of it already, is it similar to Indian cuisine? I'm a big fan of spicy foods.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Like the sound of it already, is it similar to Indian cuisine? I'm a big fan of spicy foods.

No, it's not like Indian at all. Generally, the dishes are dry, and they're not spicy as in "hot", but they do use a lot of spices. Some dishes come with Lebanese bread.

It's very tasty.

cathidaw

Red face

[Imust try this out.
    Has anyone tried Mongolian food? I went recently to a new Mongolian Restaurant in Newcastle upon Tyne, a very lush place beautifully decorated and a joy to be in.
    A Pity about the service!
    After being seated by the host We waited another 20 minutes , and were just about to get up and go when one of the waiters 'crept' over to us , (they all appeared to be creeping about whispering to each other).We ordered and a few minutes later the waiter came back with two VERY large plates with about half a cup of plain boiled rice in the middle of each-and crept away. I sat there for a while waiting to see what was coming up next -all the while trying to catch someones eye. Then the original chappie came back and asked us if we 'no like ?' and pointed to the now nearly cold rice. I said where's the 'duck'y' thing we ordered -I think it was duck of some sort- i had forgotten as it wa so long ago by then-.he said 'will come, will come' and crept away again --(I think to get an interpreter.) By then we entered into the 'game' and couldn't stop laughing-wondering -what next
    Eventually they brought one jug of spicy flavoured beige stuff and 2 plates of brown bits which looked like slices of shiny polished shoe leather and smelled of old farmyard. I tried to stick my fork in one bit and it shot across the new carpet. The waiters pounced--(dont know where they came from, couldn't see one when we needed one)-and picked it up. I almost expected him to wipe it on his fancy pinny and put it back on the plate
    By then I was uncontrollable, and my friend was embarrassed and asked for coffee and the bill to shut me up.
    The food was disgusting, the bill outrageous - the best thing was the after dinner mint.
    We ate no food, and did not have the time (interpreters needed)-or courage- to complain, but agreed it had been a good show.
    I am quite sure that our first encounter with Mongolian food it was sheer bad luck==or was it?
    Any comments!
    Last edited by cathidaw; 04-10-2007 at 02:37 AM.

Unregistered

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does the new Aqua restaurant allow/serve alcohol?

Thanks
    they are unlicensed but you can take yr own bottle of wine or beer. no cans thoughh..even then a great money saver i can pik up a bottle of good wine 3.50 saves paying 12.00 at restaurant..any queries you can call them on 02476 229551

I think it as well that Cathidaw and I don't eat at restaurants together. We would likely bring the house down. I haven't forgotten the expression on the chef's face recently when at a London hotel and asked for the eggs (breakkie time) to be turned over because I didn't like slimy eggs. He appeared mortified at the idea of turning his piece de resistance - a culinary master piece - being turned into something as deplorably "common" as a sunnyside up egg. It was almost beneath his dignity to perform such an act. Meanwhile, the well suited gentleman behind me followed up with "I'll have mine done exactly the same way thank you."
    Cool

Covvyy

I was there yesterday, havent tried the food out, but the shisha was gooooood. I like the heated garden idea

cathidaw

Hi Shizara===- that made me laugh.
    My friend and I went into a cafe in Coventry and the same thing happened with the eggs-except that my friend asked for them to be burst and well done. The girl was aghast and first, she had to ask the boss if it was o.k to do that. (apparently when yolks are broken, they are discarded ). don't know what she would have done if we had asked for one of my sister's favourites--fried egg with fried onion batches. That would really bring down the tone of the place.
    Heart attack perhaps.?
    The most disgusting meal I ever had was in a well known restaurant in the rural Keresley part of Coventry. .It was a few years ago and a special birthday . The birthday girl was a vegetarian-a rare species then- so when we ordered they flapped but said -of course,yes we do veggi meals- and flapped off. We had the carvery meal and sat waiting for the other meal to arrive before starting. Eventually it came -our meals were cool(as in 'nearly cold' kind of cool. IT being the special vegetarian mess someone just 5 minutes ago had invented. An omelette filled with watery tinned chopped vegetables. To add to the insult ,behind me there was a trolly flambe'ing some steak and onions and most of the 'aromatic'smoke was wafting through my hair. I pushed it away with my posh shoe'd foot at first -thinking the waiter would take the hint ,but oh no, back it came--so I scraped my chair back, stood up to make a big fuss, when the manager came and said''Aren't you enjoying the meal madam" (Thick as a plank- he was)
    I pointed to the meal, and the trolly, and the smoke, and asked him what he thought. He apologised and offered us another meal either then or another time.I could not reply because Iwas being ushered out of the door by my family.
    By then everyone at the table wanted to get out of the place.
    We sat in the car park and they -including birthday girl-and me later- laughed so much , partly because I still was fuming that a special occasion had been ruined and and partly as they re-enacted the scene.
    As she said it was an 18th to remember.
    And it does sound funny now.but Iwish Ihad been allowed to complain.
    I would nowadays.
    There was another place in Leicester where the sausages were boiled--but that's another tale.

welcomeTiff --you sound very bubbly--and we need you here.!
    Where did you say you came from-are you like me- a Cov Kid.
    To be a Coventry kid you have to be born within half a mile from CiTy centre
    Last edited by cathidaw; 18-10-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Unregistered

[No it doesn't but you can take your own - they dont like cans though