Thread: TSB Branch Closures

Default TSB Branch Closures

Locally, branches are going in Coventry, Leamington, Rugby & Warwick: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50585536
    Last edited by Lex; 28-11-2019 at 09:08 PM.

I was with TSB for years. Then they merged with Lloyds, then split: at which point I found my account firmly embedded in Lloyds.

TSB's USP was that they catered for the individual. I joined when I started work and they were the only bank that was interested in dealing with small amounts that apprentices could salt away. They also covered the midlands region extremely well. This cutting back of branches is likely to hit them harder than cutting back has has hurt other banks, simply because they historically deal with individuals and not corporations. The first set of accounts after this round of closures might make interesting reading.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Apart from my seperate main account, I had a NatWest account purely for saving when I could put a bit back or draw from when needed. That was roughly over 20 odd years ago, and because that account didn't have a big amount in it, the NatWest informed me they were closing my account! I think they didn't want to handle small accounts or small transactions, I never knew the reason. So I never bothered with them since.

I have (had?) several accounts with £1.00 in them.

Whilst banks can now close accounts down, at one time they couldn't and had to send out statements etc. I got a lot of pleasure explaining to counter-staff why I was leaving just £1.00 in, after they had upset me with their poor service. It used to cost them a lot more than my deposit to keep my account live.

I worked with RBS for a while and one manager happened to mention that they had a lot of accounts with £1 in them. He wasn't happy when I told him why. I was there teaching customer service!
    Last edited by rebbonk; 01-12-2019 at 01:56 PM.

I've had £50 in an account for years as far back as I can remember. They never seem to trouble me about it. So I just leave it there.

Margaret, I can't quite remember the rules, but if an account goes untouched for so long it is deemed dormant and is merged into a central fund. I'm not sure if interest is paid once this happens. I get an letter once a year from the Halifax reminding me of this, so usually drop in to make a small transaction.

This may be of interest...

Dormant accounts

I see, yes that is a good point I shall look into it. Thanks Rebbonk.