Thread: Dad's Army

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Dad's Army

Well here is a clip where Jones mentions Leamington Spa when he played the organ .
    From about 20 minutes in.
    I never watched it on telly, but I listen to repeats on Radio 4extra.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5s7mx8

Last edited by margaret; 14-10-2019 at 08:24 PM.

A brilliant series, though I found the recent film a disappointment.

I once met 'Walker' in a bar in Bournemouth
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    A brilliant series, though I found the recent film a disappointment.

I once met 'Walker' in a bar in Bournemouth

That was nice actually meeting Walker.
    I wasn't aware there was a film on Dad's Army, no telly. I have enjoyed listening to the repeats on the radio.
    A couple of years ago, I was at a women group I attended, a local chap gave a talk all about Arthur Lowe and of course about his sad ending of his collapse and death at the Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham.

Now I'm listening to a series of Sherlock Homes stories. R4extra. Takes the boredom out of cooking and washing.

Mrs. R saw the film at a discount and decided to treat me. We were both non-plussed by it. I don't even know what she did with it afterwards... bin I expect.

I have a friend the absolute spitting image of Arthur Lowe, not that I've ever told him.

Can't say I'm a fan of Holmes, though I did enjoy a couple of Basil Rathbone's portrayals of him.

Never tried R4extra, I'll look into it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Mrs. R saw the film at a discount and decided to treat me. We were both non-plussed by it. I don't even know what she did with it afterwards... bin I expect.

I have a friend the absolute spitting image of Arthur Lowe, not that I've ever told him.

Can't say I'm a fan of Holmes, though I did enjoy a couple of Basil Rathbone's portrayals of him.

Never tried R4extra, I'll look into it sometime.

Yes,I know what you mean, all those who-dun-it stories are very much like a variation on a theme. But I did enjoy Murder on the Orient Express, a few weeks back. And Wilkie Collins story, called, NO NAME. And Kenneth Williams in round the Horne or Beyond our Ken, comedies. Tomorrow is Hancock and Les Dawson. Not keen on Hancock, but I quite liked Frankie Howerd.

I guess you can get the films of Dad's Army and more, from the Library, but I never bother with them.
    Last edited by margaret; 15-10-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Mrs R's late step-father lent me a collection of cassette tapes of Hancock. I really didn't find them anywhere as near as funny as I did when I was a kid.

One of the funniest things I ever heard (and I nearly ran off Coventry's ring road because I had tears in my eyes) was Les Ross early one morning talking about a doctor being struck off for treating haemophiliacs with accupuncture. I don't think I have ever laughed so much.