Thread: Radio listeners.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Radio listeners.

I listen to radio 4 extra a lot, but I don't know if true horrific stores come under entertainment section on here.
    But I'd like to share with you a sad and horrific crime of passion and hanging that happened c1922.

You may have read about the hanging of Edith Thompson , who was married but was having a love affair with Frederick Bywaters, and a conspiracy to plan the murder of her husband, which was carried out by Freddy, her lover. But whether she was innocent is still an open verdict, in my mind. It was a very emotional and spellbinding radio adaptation of the story. The acting was award winning and so convincing to me that she was innocent of her husbands murder.

Here is a synopsis of the story.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/edith.html

Another.....
    https://www.john-clarke.co.uk/thompson.html

Last edited by margaret; 15-09-2019 at 06:03 PM.

That's why I'm against capital punishment Margaret. One wrong hanging is one too many. Plenty of people believe that with DNA testing etc. miscarriages of justice cannot happen these days: sadly, this is not the case. Programs like CSI have a lot to answer for.

I occasionally used to listen to 'book at bedtime' on R4, there were some good stories featured. I rarely listen to the radio these days, (apart from in the car for traffic news) as my tinnitus often becomes aggravated by it.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

If you like detective stories, you may like to follow this on radio 4 extra.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09qjb6p
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I have the same view, Rebbonk. At the end of the day, you can let someone out of prison, but can't un-hang them.

There are criminal cases in this country that warrant the death penalty.
    Like the recent stabbing of three men in Reading by some mentally deranged kid, known to MI5.
    And years ago,2012, another case , one eyed thug, Dale Cregan, in Manchester who lured two police women to their death , shot them in cold blooded murder.
    Last edited by margaret; 22-06-2020 at 07:33 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Undoubtedly there are deserving cases Margaret. However, should the state execute one person in error, that (to my mind) is one too many. The UK judicial system is too adversarial for my liking and miscarriages of justice frequently occur. If someone is given a life sentence and subsequently it is found that he is innocent, we can release him and apologise. It's a bit difficult if we've executed him.

Please don't get me wrong, I fully understand why people call for the death penalty, it's just something I'm very uncomfortable with our judicial system as it is.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.