Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Election?

Default General Election?

The Lib Dems have chosen the prospective candidate for Rugby. Since they don't seem to believe in democracy any more (ref. Brexit), it'll be a long time before I vote for them again.

https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/ne...date-1-9068677

I really don't know who I'll vote for next time Lex. I guess many of the country will be the same as me, so a slight 'rocking of the boat' might be expected.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

I'm in the same quandary. I remember the miners' strike, and know what the hard left are like; UKIP et al are vacuous, hate mongering idiots, and the Conservatives seem to have reverted to the shambles of the early 2000's.

A bit of bad news for Nigel Farage. Never mind, eh: https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/11/0...ge-accused-of/

I shouldn't laugh, but...

New European

I'm afraid poor old Nige does seem to attract the fruitcakes

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

BORIS DEAL IS NOT REMAIN.

I am afraid that there is some rather scurrilous disinformation being spread about Boris's Brexit Deal. This takes the form of over-exaggerated, misleading criticism combined with an inability to offer anything concrete instead. We keep hearing what people don't want, but not very much about what they do - and if it's no deal, then I'm afraid we never hear about a credible path to get there.
    Boris's deal is not "remain", "vassalage" or indeed a "sellout", and I must begin to question the motives of those who continue to make wild statements about the alleged consequences thereof in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The Brexit Party in particular, having been an extremely useful and constructive presence during the European Elections earlier this year, now risks becoming a destructive force.
    The simple truth is that this deal presents a credible pathway to an FTA with the EU. Instead of sowing the seeds of division and vote splitting, let's unite to work with the deal we have and ensure that it delivers the outcome we want at the end of 2020. This would be the most constructive path to take instead of Bashing Boris all of the time.

.... Interesting article copied from facebook.

I must disagree with your source, Margaret. Boris's deal is certainly not what I understood I was voting for, and I believe it to be worse than May's deal.

One of big problems is that it is so difficult to get to the facts of the matter. So much is written in 'political' speak which can be interpreted differently by different people. Another issue is the low esteem and mistrust that we hold politicins in, and they only have themselves to blame for that.

I will state here, quite openly, that I don't trust Boris one bit. As far as I'm concerned he's a proven liar and once I've been deliberately lied to I find it very hard to trust a person again.

Before I was barred from the Daily Mail website, I had stated on there that it would be a sad day for the UK if Boris ever became PM. Boris was mayor of London at the time. I've not changed my view.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I must disagree with your source, Margaret. Boris's deal is certainly not what I understood I was voting for, and I believe it to be worse than May's deal.

One of big problems is that it is so difficult to get to the facts of the matter. So much is written in 'political' speak which can be interpreted differently by different people. Another issue is the low esteem and mistrust that we hold politicins in, and they only have themselves to blame for that.

I will state here, quite openly, that I don't trust Boris one bit. As far as I'm concerned he's a proven liar and once I've been deliberately lied to I find it very hard to trust a person again.

Before I was barred from the Daily Mail website, I had stated on there that it would be a sad day for the UK if Boris ever became PM. Boris was mayor of London at the time. I've not changed my view.
    Yes, I know exactly where you are coming from Rebbonk, I normally trust your words of wisdom , and always glad to know what your opinion on matters are. You are not often wrong. Myself and my husband don't trust Boris, I never liked him when he was Foreign Secretary, but I was hoping he would pull this Brexit thing off. No its not exactly what we voted for, but then I don't think its worse than May's deal. It is all so darn confusing and conflicting what we hear on the media and facebook.
    Last edited by margaret; 09-11-2019 at 03:40 AM.

I find Facebook largely a waste of time for anything apart from my direct interests. UK media rarely tell the whole story and most have an agenda of their own.

I like to read the middle east newspapers and websites. Surprisingly, you get a very balanced view on most of them.

I also use news now as a starting point when I want to explore further how things are viewed around the world.

This has just recently come to my attention regarding flooding.

Years long gone by, rivers were dredged to prevent flooding. It didnt stop it all and didnt help when they built houses on natural flood plains.

Now heres the twist- The EU didnt ban dredging but what it did was to classify everything that was dredged as Hazardous waste. Now normally youd dredge and put the silt on the river banks or spread it on farmers fields but because EU classed it as hazardous the farmers had to apply for a license to spread. This was decided by EU experts and civil servants. The only facility that takes this Hazardous material is in Germany surprise surprise! So that is why our rivers are not dredged of silt and flooding is more prevalent. I know its no consilation to the flood victims but it shows what a quandry this Country is in whilst ruled by the EU.

Labour signed over the responsibility of the rivers to the EU in 2000, and they do not believe in dredging the rivers, it's the European water framework directive

Interesting Margaret.

Canals are still dredged though. I sat and watched our local one done during the summer. What I did notice though, was that they loaded the dredged material into a barge and took it off somewhere for emptying each evening. They certainly didn't do this a few years ago.

Canal silt I might expect to be contaminated, but in general I think I'd expect river silt to be quite rich in nutrients. Germany benefitting again?

I really have no idea who to vote for on 12th December. I'm becoming less impressed with Johnson (never been impressed with Zahawi, Stratford's MP); I know too much about the 1970's to ever bring myself to vote for Corbyn's lot; despite their name, the Lib Dems don't do democracy (ie, campaigning to abandon Brexit, even though the majority voted for it); And Brexit Party & UKIP are just a bunch of vacuous windbags.

I've decided exactly what I'm going to do come election day, unless something spectacular happens between now and then. I also intend having a lot of fun with any candidate that posts a leaflet through my letterbox or dares to knock my door.

Like Lex and Rebbonk, I 've always felt dismay at our hopeless or even hapless governments, but just this time round if you want out of the EU, and go forward with running our own country properly. Get Britain back on its feet. I will have to swallow my pride, bite my tongue and vote BJ.
    Last edited by margaret; 22-11-2019 at 09:05 PM.

The candidates for Leamington & Warwick have their say: https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/...e-them-1326221