Thread: Temporary Closure of Link Project

Default Temporary Closure of Link Project

Sounds like some violent incidents: http://www.stratford-herald.com/9640...ty-review.html

If you look at what they do and their clientele, I think that you are probably very close to the truth Lex. Many people visiting the place are not going to be in the best frames of mind.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

I don't know a lot about homelessness, but mental illness/disability and sheer desperation seem to be big factors in people living on the streets.

I hope the money will be spent wisely: http://www.stratford-herald.com/1002...-homeless.html

It's not really a lot of money, but it might help a few of the most vulnerable

There's been rather a heated thread going on a local F/B page about homeless people. A local councillor joined in, blamed austerity and got absolutely fried.

The reasons behind homelessness are many and varied. Some people don't want help, others would welcome it. Sadly, one of the biggest stumbling blocks is animals. Often a homeless person is offered accomodation, but no pets allowed. Now, how would you feel if you had to leave your one friend in this world behind?

This seems to be one big problem for the Coventry homeless people: the charities offering help know this but choose not to reveal it until quite late in the homing process. Then, of course, the person being helped decides to go no further.

It's rather a waste of money doing things this way, IMO. - Unless (being very cynical) the charities have ulterior motives, such as their funding.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

I agree one mans dog is a faithful friend, but in a situation where the homeless have to probably share accommodation can cause problems. Perhaps the room sharer does not like dogs or is allergic to animals or the dog is too noisy. A fight might break out and the dog will protect its owner. Some people can be very disagreeable and difficult as they can have problems of their own. For me, I wouldn't mind a dog to help keep my sanity, but you can't please everyone.
    Last edited by margaret; 20-09-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    I agree one mans dog is a faithful friend, but in a situation where the homeless have to probably share accommodation can cause problems. Perhaps the room sharer does not like dogs or is allergic to animals or the dog is too noisy. A fight might break out and the dog will protect its owner. Some people can be very disagreeable and difficult as they can have problems of their own. For me, I wouldn't mind a dog to help keep my sanity, but you can't please everyone.

Any thoughts on this?

As far as I know Margaret, Coventry uses room shares/hostels to get people off the street in emergency situations and I see your point. I don't know the rules for hostels and dogs. But the case (and other cases) that I referred to as being discussed on F/B it wasn't room share or hostels that were being offered.

As I say, I'm a cynic but I've seen first hand how charities pretend to be there for a particular purpose, when in truth they are there to provide well paid jobs for the officers and management.

The old link project premises is being converted into housing, but, apparently, a new shelter is being planned for the back of the old Fred Winter building: http://www.stratford-herald.com/1029...sidential.html