Thread: Getting a Plumber Saga

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Getting a Plumber Saga

Me: phoned plumber last Monday and arranged to come assess cost and replacement of new cylinder, (water tank).

Plumber: Yes, I can do that , , I can fit one before Christmas I'll come round on at about 09:00 Thursday.

Me: Great I'll meet you at the flat. (my son's). Which he did actually come and gave me a quote I agreed with.

Plumber: I can fit the cylinder next Tuesday, and come to you at 09:00.

Me: Great, so Tuesday morning , waited and waited for him to arrive at the said time, 09:00. No sign of him, So I phones him asks what is happening, is he coming or not?

Plumber: Said, apologised profusely, saying , he meant that he can come Wednesday not Tuesday!

Me: Ok I shall wait for him on Wednesday at the flat, again at 09:00.

Plumber: Never turned up, he phones later and tells me his van broke down in Wellesbourne and is waiting for the AA to come an sort him out, and he will see me on Thursday.

Me: Ok, fine.

Plumber: Texted me on Thursday to say his van is still not fixed it is in Fords garage , blah blah blah and he won't be able to see me now till next Monday 17th Dec.

Me: Text back to him, Ok, we shall leave it till Monday and that will be his final opportunity to do the job for us as we shall be busy that week and having visitors down from Scotland. And if he finds he can't do it Monday , then we shall go elsewhere .

I feel I have been very patient with this guy, hoping he can do it before Christmas as he promised, but he has dragged it out , now it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I wish I tried someone else as this has really waisted a week and a half.
    Last edited by margaret; 13-12-2018 at 02:05 PM.

I replaced my own water tank. It wasn't expensive, but it was bl**dy awkward.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

New tank in situ now, but what a bleedin mess the plumber left behind. Some plumbers are more untidy than others.

Changing mine was a horrible job Margaret. Squeezing into the airing cupboard, it's surprising how much heat you generate and how uncomfortable it becomes. I found my arms were a bit short on a couple of occasions as well. From memory, even the dog disappeared downstairs out of my way.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Changing mine was a horrible job Margaret. Squeezing into the airing cupboard, it's surprising how much heat you generate and how uncomfortable it becomes. I found my arms were a bit short on a couple of occasions as well. From memory, even the dog disappeared downstairs out of my way.

I can appreciate the difficulty working in a confined space, yes. I guess he has fitted a few in his time though. I must say he looked a bit disheveled by the time he finished.
    Last edited by margaret; 01-01-2019 at 04:40 PM.