Thread: Screen damage

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Screen damage

I have dropped my laptop a couple of times and now the screen is damaged, it is getting worse and shall soon need to scrap it. I have about one quarter of the screen all lines and fuzzy along the bottom. So if I disappear offline for a while I shall be sorting out getting a new laptop. I think this might just about make it till a few more weeks I don't know. But I have much less room for viewing and I can't see the buttons at the bottom of the screen. It is an Apple MacBook and the local repair chap said a new screen would cost about £400, so I reckon I can get a refurbished MacBook for that or just over. It is good enough for my needs. Is it harmful to use a laptop with damaged screen??

I think it depends on the damage, but can cause temporary eye strain (nothing giving your eyes a rest can't solve easily!). Hope you get it sorted soon - we'll miss you while you're gone

My last laptop developed a screen fault that caused me to have migraines. Since I changed it (4 years ago) I don't think I've had a full blown migraine.

My policy with buying computers is to buy what you need and don't be swayed by sales talk. I find mine last about 4 years. - This one is on borrowed time.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

The laptop I'm using at present was a refurbished MacBook, I guess it has seen better days now, I've had at least 4 years. Time to look around again for another, I won't by a brand new one.

Funny you mentioned migraine Rebbonk, not pleasant at all. A few weeks back, I had a stinker of a headache that took 3 days to totally lift . I put it down to eating a rich chocolate pudding, I now and then treat myself to. I can only guess that was the cause of my headache as it developed the same night and lasted for 3 days but not with the same intensity as the first onset.

When I get them I usually suffer from vision disturbances as well as pain. It often looks like the lens in my eye has cracked. It's a horrible sensation.

If I can catch things early enough I can manage things with paracetamol or ibuprofen. If I'm slow off the mark, it's several hours in a very dark quiet room. - Not easy in this house!

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    When I get them I usually suffer from vision disturbances as well as pain. It often looks like the lens in my eye has cracked. It's a horrible sensation.

If I can catch things early enough I can manage things with paracetamol or ibuprofen. If I'm slow off the mark, it's several hours in a very dark quiet room. - Not easy in this house!

I take Anadin extra for my headaches, I don't like taking them, but if I feel the headache won't lift and is getting more severe then I will take them. Paracetamol alone upsets my stomach, but for some reason Anadin extra works better for me, even though it does contain some paracetamol.
    I haven't experienced vision disturbance though.

The bottom of my screen keeps flickering , it is most annoying, I shouldn't stay online too long.
    Last edited by margaret; 28-11-2018 at 08:51 PM.

My laptop isn't ready yet, so the guy in the computer shop in Leam gave me a loan of another laptop, a refurbished MacBook Air, 11 inch screen, its ok, but the print is a tad smaller. Still, it was very decent of him to loan one out to me. We have been going to that shop since we moved here and we know him well now. So perhaps he trusts me.

That's very good of him Margaret. It demonstrates the benefits of good customer service, something sadly lacking these days.

Yes, his business, Click OK, is very popular, friendly and knowledgeable, known locally and has built up customer good will over the years. I'm sure all the Uni students go in there too.

I have been to others in Leamington, but they were nowhere as good, infact on one occasion , I took a laptop in to be looked at and I could tell the guy in there was fluffing it or guessing as he went along. I just did not have any confidence in him. That business is no longer there, it was called , Gigante , or something like that, I. think they have a shop in Coventry.

Yes, like motor mechanics; they change things until they get it right and present you with the bill for everything they've changed, needed or not.