Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peaked off!

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Peaked off!

What happened to my thread about off peak usage? Has there been some misunderstanding?

I found discussing it here and information from Rebbonk very helpful.

I thank him for that.
    Last edited by margaret; 15-11-2018 at 08:18 AM.

???

Lex?

I suspect Lex may have seen the original post reference deletion and not realised that we had carried on a discussion afterwards
    Last edited by rebbonk; 15-11-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

I suspected that, but I asked why we can't delete a post, (like we used to) as I had second thoughts about enquiring about off-peak, I was going to just delete it, but then you prompted me to ask away , so that is when I continued. But I wouldn't think Lex would delete a whole thread. Anyway the discussion we had was very constructive in helping us to make up our minds what was best for my son whether to have Off-Peak after weighing it all up, it wouldn't be worth it for him, as you also mentioned the slightly higher charge for daytime usage when on off-peak, he would be a low user being a single chap and not really benefit.

This is the package, what do you think of it?

Tariff name E.ON Smart Saver v7
    Tariff type Fixed price
    Payment method Fixed monthly Direct Debit
    Unit rate Day 19.362p per kWh
    Night 9.083p per kWh
    Standing charge 19.835p per day
    Tariff starts on 13 November 2018
    Tariff ends on 12 November 2019
    Price guaranteed until 12 November 2019
    Exit fees
    Last edited by margaret; 15-11-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Maybe worth looking at powershop

Supplier Powershop (PS Energy UK Limited)
    Tariff name Fixed Term Tariff November 2018 Issue 1
    Tariff type Fixed price
    Payment method Monthly Direct Debit
    Unit rate Day rate 14.385p per kWh
    Night rate 10.311p per kWh
    Standing charge 21.00p per day
    Tariff ends on 12 month fixed term
    Price guaranteed until 12 month fixed term
    Exit fees Not applicable

The day unit rate is substantially cheaper

A bit of a downer on some of the reviews though, give me time and I'll check them out. Rebbonk.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/powershop.co.uk?
    Last edited by margaret; 15-11-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Something to be aware of if you go with smaller companies...

An energy supplier based in Birmingham has ceased trading, the sixth small provider to go bust this year.

Extra Energy, headquartered in Edgbaston, is backed by Isreali businessman Moti Ben-Moshe and supplies gas and electricity to domestic and SME customers.

It launched in the UK in April 2014 and has around 108,000 domestic and 21,000 business customers.

Extra now joins Future Energy, National Gas and Power, Iresa, Gen4U and Usio Energy, who all ceased trading this year, with regulators now moving to make licensing tougher for new entrants to the market. There has been a flurry of new entrants in recent years as the government and the energy regulator sought to increase competition in the energy sector.
    Full report: Business desk (May require sign-up)

Very interesting, thank you for that informations Rebbonk.
    At the moment though he is staying with the energy supplier that was originally supplied to the flat and that is E.on. Somewhere down the line he will be looking at an alternative. He seems to have settled for a reasonable package. .

Any Advice please from our forum experts

1. Would the old storage heaters going back to the 80's, have asbestos in it??

2. Also is it best to have a stainless steel or copper immersion heater?

3. In a block of flats , should the stop cock be in the flat or is it outside the building . We cant seem to locate it anywhere in the flat.
    Last edited by margaret; 26-11-2018 at 07:35 PM.

1. Would the old storage heaters going back to the 80's, have asbestos in it?? - There may well be. The last one I removed (1985 model) had an asbestos mat in it.

2. Also is it best to have a stainless steel or copper immersion heater? - Copper is more efficient, but stainless steel will unlikely corrode and will likely last longer.

3. In a block of flats , should the stop cock be in the flat or is it outside the building . We cant seem to locate it anywhere in the flat. - I would expect each flat to have its own stop-cock, likely under the sink. I have known flats have stop cocks outside the flat itself, but within the main building. As this is a conversion (I think) I would only expect one stop cock for the whole building outside.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 26-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.

What does asbestos look like and what do they use in place of asbestos today? thanks.

In mine it was a white woven material between the bricks and the outer case. Looks something like this...

New units use a "thermosolid" material that doesn't release harmful fibres. IIRC in the replacement I fitted it looked like sheets of heavy duty plastic. - Obviously it has a very high temperature tolerance, but for the first few uses it does give off some very unpleasant fumes.

My son's looked just like that inside , but it was more worn, discoloured and old looking. He had the storage heater completely removed. I think they stopped using asbestos in around 1973. Not sure.
    Those bricks are darn heavy and some of ours were cracked.
    Last edited by margaret; 27-11-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Those bricks are very heavy! I removed one set and replaced another in one day. I ached for a week! I don't think being cracked has much of an effect and the discolouration is likely caused by a failed thermostat allowing it to overheat. The mechanisms in them from those years were really very crude.

I believe that they stopped using asbestos in the mid 70s, but that was only manufacture. Plenty will have been in storage (sorry!) until they were required for installation.

Well maybe it was maybe it wasn't asbestos , I just feel sorry for the electrician who had to remove it.

Now, the game is hunt the stop-cocks in the building, apparently because of the age of the flats built in the c1982 the stop-cocks were not situated in each flat. I endeavoured to enquire with one of the neighbours in the building where the stop-cocks were situated , a gentleman answered and informed me the exact location, which happened to be right by his flat downstairs. Quite bizarrely they were encased in a small wooden panel which needed a star screw driver to undo.
    He said his son was a plumber and will contact him to confirm that indeed this is the area where the stop-cocks are for the flats. Haven't heard yet but I am sure that it is correct.
    I was a bit embarrassed to knock on this gentleman's door to ask where the stop-cocks were. .

However, I did introduce myself and explained that my son has bought a flat and we needed to know where everything was. He was very nice and helpful he has a lovely cat named 'Puddy.'
    He told us that the Waterboard fixed a stop-cock in his flat , so in due course that is what my son will be doing. Meantime he needs to change his water boiler. And I have been the runner to see to things, along with organising a carpet fitter.
    Last edited by margaret; 27-11-2018 at 05:36 PM.

It is really quite bizarre having stop-cocks behind a closed panel that needs unbloody screwing to get emergency access to while someones flat might be flooding ! Totally nuts!

That does seem rather odd Margaret.