Thread: On The Buses.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default On The Buses.

We all probably travelled on buses from time to time, and have some funny stories to tell. I used to commute to work by bus. On one occasion coming home, three school age chav's were sitting behind me, kicking the back of my seat and laughing, after a little while, I turned around, and bellowed at them sergeant major voice and said, '' Will you stop kicking my seat! how old are you 4yrs old ?
    Stunned silence for a moment, then they started calling me Hitler.
    Last edited by margaret; 12-10-2018 at 10:37 AM.

I used to travel to school on the bus. They were the old open rear platform type and we used to skip off on the corner before the stop. One particular conductor was always telling us off for it. The lads were always attaching little notes to his back saying things such as 'kick me'. Little b*ggers we were!

We did once let off a stink bomb on a crowded top deck. To this day I still laugh as I remember the disgusted faces looking accusingly at their co-travellers before realising the true horror of what had happened.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Not a bus, but a train...

I'd been moonlighting at Birmingham University. Finishing the lecture early I decided that if I was lucky I could catch the 4:00PM train back to Coventry.

I ran into New St station, checked the destination boards and then dashed off to platform 4 and caught the train. Sitting down, the train moved off. 'Ey up' I thought, 'This train's going in the wrong direction!' And it was!

The train on platform 4 had been split. One half going to Coventry, the other half to Wolverhampton. Guess who got it wrong? But I was not alone, about 20 other passengers had also made the same mistake. When the conductor came along he laughed and advised up to get off at the first station and wait for a train back to New St. Apparently, confusion over this particular train was common.

But I only ever did it the once!

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I used to travel to school on the bus. They were the old open rear platform type and we used to skip off on the corner before the stop. One particular conductor was always telling us off for it. The lads were always attaching little notes to his back saying things such as 'kick me'. Little b*ggers we were!

We did once let off a stink bomb on a crowded top deck. To this day I still laugh as I remember the disgusted faces looking accusingly at their co-travellers before realising the true horror of what had happened.

I never thought you were such a little tearaway!

Once I had an extra long journey from Edinburgh to Birmingham, I caught an afternoon train from Scotland to Brum, and that's the last time I did that, because of delays, the train never stopped at the stop I should have got off to change, I realised that when as soon as they announced the stops over the tannoy. I questioned the staff on the train and asked what time I should arrive in Birmigham he said around midnight, I can't remember exactly but I was able to catch the last train back to Leam. So now, I travelling from Edinburgh , I get an early morning train to Birmingham, usual no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    I never thought you were such a little tearaway!
    I have serious form for stink bomb use.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Once I had an extra long journey from Edinburgh to Birmingham, I caught an afternoon train from Scotland to Brum, and that's the last time I did that, because of delays, the train never stopped at the stop I should have got off to change, I realised that when as soon as they announced the stops over the tannoy. I questioned the staff on the train and asked what time I should arrive in Birmigham he said around midnight, I can't remember exactly but I was able to catch the last train back to Leam. So now, I travelling from Edinburgh , I get an early morning train to Birmingham, usual no problems.
    I worked in Edinburgh on several occasions. The office always booked me flights from Birmingham airport. I think it used to be about 40 minutes in the air. It usually took me longer to get from Birmingham to Coventry after returning Friday evening.

Rarely were the flights full, unlike those from Munich which were always overbooked.

Established Member

I was driving to Newcastle alone, one Sunday morning--and ended up at Albert Dock, Liverpool.
    Hadn't been before so had a good look around and belted across the Pennines to Leeds and carried on.
    Anyone else as daft?

I was once given a post code of a place I was supposed to be working. The sat Nav took me to the middle of a park! Another time (only a post code again) and I ended up asking the local postie where the place was.

I worked in Liverpool and stayed in a hotel facing on to Albert Dock. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it but from the outside it looked like the bow of a ship.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I was once given a post code of a place I was supposed to be working. The sat Nav took me to the middle of a park! Another time (only a post code again) and I ended up asking the local postie where the place was.

I worked in Liverpool and stayed in a hotel facing on to Albert Dock. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it but from the outside it looked like the bow of a ship.

Was it the, Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel?

1.jpg

That's the place, but I think it was under a different name when I used it. We often used to find that hotels changed ownership and name overnight. - It played havoc with our payment system, as when they changed ownership they often expected payment there and then.

Established Member

In the 1950s my auntie was on a Coventry bus and as she got up to leave someone shouted, 'Missis I think you've left something." when she turned he was holding up a bra he'd picked up from the floor nearwhere she'd been sitting.
    She said she nearly died of embarrassment, and could have hit him..

That made me laugh out loud Cathi.

When I first started work I commuted there and back using the local bus service. Looking back I wonder just how roadworthy they really were. One time we had to have umbrellas up when sitting in the back seat because the roof leaked. Another time the bus arrived, we got on, the driver went to change gears and finished up with the gear stick in his hand. On yet another occasion the step into the bus had broken so we stopped at the depot, driver gets out and hammers in a wooden board sign so we could carry on our journey. Oddly, it was just the right size, no screws or nails needed... just a bit of encouragement from a hammer and job done.
    Cool

That sounds like LLoyds, Shizara?