Thread: Tracksuits Instead of School Uniforms

Default Tracksuits Instead of School Uniforms

This stinks of another educational fad, which will soon be proved to be of no benefit to the poor kids that are being subjected to it: https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/...uits-1-8661988

Established Member

I'm in agreement -except for the tracky bottoms.What other chance will the pupils have to express themselves .They do it now by rolling up their skirts to minis and trousers to half mast.
    I suggest they allow trousers of any shape-but-not any colour. Otherwise they'll look like a crowd Russian street sweepers.
    Whatever we think kids like to look good, and probably work better being allowed a little individuality.
    Kids are not what they were in the old days. (drone -drone)
    I remember being told off for wearing my tie around my waist. Gradually everyone did. so they couldn't detain a whole class-which they tried.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 09-10-2018 at 10:48 PM.

I must disagree with this. Kids are at school to learn, but also to start understanding about life, and discipline is one facet of life that so many lack these days.

Having interviewed many youngsters over the years, so many with decent qualifications are unemployable due to their attitude and general demeanour. Discipline in school (uniform is a start) is (IMO) a necessity to helping them gain life skills. No, I didn't appreciate it as a rebellious teen, but it didn't take me long to work out that it gave me a start over others from more easy going schools.

I'm totally against all this easy going liberal stuff, look where it has gotten us to date.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Established Member

It doesn't hurt to give in a little.
    If they are happy they will work harder, with nothing to rebel about.
    My grandaughter is proof of that. A new-less strict school equalled 3A*stars and all the others being A's
    We have to move with the times.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

I'm just pleased to hear that House of Fraser will be staying open in Leamington. Wohay!
    Last edited by margaret; 10-10-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    It doesn't hurt to give in a little.
    If they are happy they will work harder, with nothing to rebel about.
    My grandaughter is proof of that. A new-less strict school equalled 3A*stars and all the others being A's
    We have to move with the times.

There were 5 of us and my mum couldn't afford to keep buy us uniforms and shoes. I usually had hand me downs.

Yesterday at the bus stop, a couple of school girls were wearing what you might call a skirt half way up their thighs and black tights. They were looking in their compact mirrors putting on makeup !
    I would never be allowed out the door with short skirts in my day!
    I know I seem old fashioned but modesty is much nicer than looking like a blatant tart!
    Last edited by margaret; 13-10-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Established Member

I think the schools should ban the short skirts and tights-they are provocative and kids always flout rules.That's why I think trousers of their choice should be allowed and approved first by the school.
    I
    Iwas the eldest of four children and we all had hand me downs..even me.We had a cousin in London.They were quite well off.My uncle was a Frigidare maintenance man on the big Liners of the time, and often the family were allowed to go with him on a cruise.
    Imagine the clothes they wore!
    I was so embarrassed some times , having to wear these 'cruise' clothes.
    Kids didn't like to be different in those days. I wore once, AND ONLY ONCE , a pair of bright green deck flares, to school and everyone laughed.These days I wouldn't have bothered but I was at a sensitive age.. Mum boil dyed them black and they were ruined.
    Such a relief.
    Our family had a bag of socks under the sofa.First one up for school in the morning had the pick .I could never get up early so after a few disasters-holey socks or odd ones, I resortedto picking mine out the night before and putting them on to wear in bed.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 13-10-2018 at 11:06 AM.

On School uniform issue I am still two minds about it. On one hand , I think it is a good idea in theory for all pupils to be wearing a school uniform , as they represent the school, plus it teaches them discipline and responsibility, neatness, polished shoes, no trainers, etc. and to learn how present themselves dressed respectfully, in readiness for the big wide world where they have to go out for interviews , and some work places do have a dress code too.

But on the other hand, not every family can afford uniforms, ( like me when I was a lass), I wore hand me downs, even though I managed a blazer and long grey skirts. and got teased and laughed at. So If school pupils today are left to wear trousers , or tracksuits they will all be trying to keep up with the latest fashion etc. therefore again, making others feel left out or they cannot afford decent clothing. Kids can be very sensitive like that, then jealousy kicks in.
    So all in all maybe its best the school's own dress code should be adhered to. Everyone the same.

Last edited by margaret; 15-10-2018 at 04:50 PM.