Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coventry - Redevelopment

Question Paradise

Hay all,

Have we forgotten to mention Paradise...an area of Coventry i was told in my first week was completely inappropriately named...but never made it there so no idea....do tell.....

hugs, Skydancer xxx

From what i understand Paradise is in the Stoney Stanton Rd ( off Red Lane ) area surrounding the old GEC works, it was or probably still is a cheap property market area.

cathidaw

Why did 'they' call these areas by romantic names, 'Paradise'--'Bermuda' (in Nuneaton) 'Paradise Street in Coventry==and they are the most depressing places. Maybe 'they' were disillusioned people and were thinking of ''Paradise Lost'
    That also I thought most depressing

Paradise Street in Coventry was where all the doss houses were when Iwent to school-the men-always men-were turned out at 8.30 every morning and stood on the street corner til the time they were allowed in again. There were crowds of them--mixed up with the Salvation Army dossers from the hostel across the road who were also tipped out about the same time. . Now that is what is called charity
    We kids thought it scary but exciting too. Winter was bad too. Not many had many clothes -sometimes they had blankets around them.or anything they could get.
    Bermuda in Nuneaton was a deprived area too-cottages were built for the workers at Bermuda pit. Now it is becoming a desirable area--but the surroundings and approach to it are crummy.My son dug there in the late 90s(archaeologist) and some of the tales the older people told him were bad. Earth floors--well water--cold --damp--bugs--disease.
    Paradise in Stoney Stanton Rd is --well, still dreary, and blink as you pass it and it's gone.
    Yes Ithink the houses are cheaper.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 26-09-2007 at 12:47 AM.

The Paradise area did actually have the old munitions works that became the GEC, so probably named that one mistake at the factory and everyone in the local area would be instantly in Paradise.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by skydakini View Post
    Hay all,

Have we forgotten to mention Paradise...an area of Coventry i was told in my first week was completely inappropriately named...but never made it there so no idea....do tell.....

hugs, Skydancer xxx
    I lived in Paradise for a year as a student - it's the around the Stoney Stanton Road just after the "Police Station" on the corner (The one below the block of flats.) It's pretty rough, and looks even rougher these days, but seems to be dominated by some of the most awful retail parks in the city. Large slabs of white ugliness surrounded by car parks.

Best avoided.

The story is that areas of cities called "Paradise" are former red light districs. Hence the name.
    Last edited by Leofric; 30-09-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by jj70 View Post
    From what i understand Paradise is in the Stoney Stanton Rd ( off Red Lane ) area surrounding the old GEC works, it was or probably still is a cheap property market area.
    The old Marconi has gone now, I think, but yeah, that's the general area where Paradise was. Towards where Alfred Herberts was at the end of Stoney Stanton Road was Edgwick. There used to be a club called "Fatty Arbuckles" that was formerly a typical Edwardian pub for the local workers, but last time I drove past it was a huge apartment block.

I imagine it's pretty cheap - but it's all relative. Coventry isn't particularly cheap anymore. I occasionally dip into the property pull out and am quite amazed to see areas that I thought were complete dumps with houses up for sale for 120 grand - these are bog standard two-up two-down terraced. If you look for a terraced house in Earlsdon they can be up to 250K, with anything detached/semi being outrageous...

10 years ago when I bought my first house, you could pick up terraces in places like Hillfields and Stoke for 14,000!!! Now you rarely see anything for less than 80,000. I wonder how the hell first time buyers manage these days?

Xanadu2

Quote Originally Posted by Leofric View Post
    I imagine it's pretty cheap - but it's all relative. Coventry isn't particularly cheap anymore. I occasionally dip into the property pull out and am quite amazed to see areas that I thought were complete dumps with houses up for sale for 120 grand - these are bog standard two-up two-down terraced. If you look for a terraced house in Earlsdon they can be up to 250K, with anything detached/semi being outrageous...

10 years ago when I bought my first house, you could pick up terraces in places like Hillfields and Stoke for 14,000!!! Now you rarely see anything for less than 80,000. I wonder how the hell first time buyers manage these days?

My mum sold a 2 bedroomed bungalow in Styvechale just when prices started to go up in the 1980s. I can't remember the price she got, but it bought her a flat in Leighton Buzzard, which has a main raliway line to London pushing up prices. Coventry has one too, of course.

Mum's flat in LB was sold on her death and now I couldn't afford to live in Coventry even if I wanted to! So where did I find that I could afford to live in? In a part of the world that I used to love visiting on holiday from Coventry!