Thread: High per-Head Rate of Tuberculosis

Default High per-Head Rate of Tuberculosis

Only 140-odd cases, but not a good advert for Coventry: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...st-tb-15169163

My maternal grandmother died of TB. - The disease of poverty wasn't it? I thought this country had all but eradicated it after the inoculation programmes of the 60s and 70s?

In truth, I'm not surprised that Coventry has a relatively high rate of TB. We have plenty from the city regularly travelling to and from areas of the world where it is still very common. We have areas of poverty and deprivation. We have overcrowded public transport, which are breeding grounds for such diseases.

I know two people recently diagnosed with TB. One had visited Mexico (he had been inoculated) and has very slowly recovered: the other sadly passed away, but where he contracted it from remains a mystery.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    My maternal grandmother died of TB. - The disease of poverty wasn't it? I thought this country had all but eradicated it after the inoculation programmes of the 60s and 70s?

In truth, I'm not surprised that Coventry has a relatively high rate of TB. We have plenty from the city regularly travelling to and from areas of the world where it is still very common. We have areas of poverty and deprivation. We have overcrowded public transport, which are breeding grounds for such diseases.

I know two people recently diagnosed with TB. One had visited Mexico (he had been inoculated) and has very slowly recovered: the other sadly passed away, but where he contracted it from remains a mystery.
    Measles too has been in the news recently and is dangerous.When I was a child--and my kids it was a'normal childhood complaint, to be got over and be done with it.
    We hardly ever heard of problems with it on the radio unless there was a major epidemic. With the media-as iit was= radio or newspapers no-one knew how many children died or were damaged by it. I remember lying in a darkened room for a very long week, and then backto school.My 3 siblings caught fom me. My poor mother stuck with 4 whinging kids for nearly a month!.
    I read an article in The Times last week saying it has come back suddenly into this country by some of the many immigrants who haven't been immunised and when they come, object to having their children done due to suspicion,
    cultural or religious reasons. .
    I'm not sure it's only them as there are many indiginent children whose parent's objected to having their kids done.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 21-09-2018 at 11:48 PM.

I also heard somewhere that part of the reason TB is making a comeback is that it has become immune to most antibiotics.