Thread: COUNCIL' outrage as Historic England slaps listed status on 50s-60s designerCoventry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Established Member

Default COUNCIL' outrage as Historic England slaps listed status on 50s-60s designerCoventry

i WAS SO PLEASED TO SEE THIS. IT CAME AS A SURPRISE TO THE COUNCIL too,(so my mole tells me) last week, who had plans to erase a lot of those buildings for the City of Culture year...
    I think most of the planned post war buildings and shops were quite beautiful in style-if only our council had looked after them. Coventry is unique in this respect., a real post war city... messed about with
    I could see them rubbing their hands with glee when we won the City of Culture status. All that money ! to waste rebuilding the centre --again. Another few years of demolition work.
    How many times does a city need re-rebuilding.
    They should re- beautify the 6os shops we have. and look at the original plans which were so well designed, by real designers for a real city...Historic England has really slated what has been done to a well designed post war plan, with bits tacked on and others left to rot in the hope of getting them condemned.
    I looked at photos on line and they are really striking.
    Too many little people with a few degrees who think they know what's good for us Coventry kids..
    Last edited by cathidaw; 03-04-2018 at 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Anything that upsets O'Boyle is OK by me!
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Established Member

Does no-one care about keeping Coventry a unique city of 50s and 60s architecture?.
    I wonder what will happen now.
    I agree with everything H E are doin-not so sure about keeping the escalator though.Its a bit ugly and grimm.

I actually think that 50s and 60s architecture could be a very good marketing strategy. - Not that I expect the lacklustre numptees at the council to see that.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I actually think that 50s and 60s architecture could be a very good marketing strategy. - Not that I expect the lacklustre numptees at the council to see that.
    The original post war city was designed by the most prominent architect of the time and carefully thought out;
    then came the successive bunch of planning officers who thought they could do better.
    I agree it would be THE one marketing strategy which could work, but you're right, they don't get out enough.

I have never been a big fan of 1950s/60s architecture in UK Cities as in some cases can come across a bit brutal in looks and poorly constructed. If Coventry was to erase its 1950s/60s past in architecture, a lot of effort and money would need to go into carefully designing the right kind of architecture to replace it and not something that people will dislike before buildings become 10 years old. If the architects get it wrong then indeed it would be a waste of time for this to happen as some 21st century architecture can lack imagination,beauty and inspiration also.