Thread: COUNCIL' outrage as Historic England slaps listed status on 50s-60s designerCoventry

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Established Member

Default COUNCIL' outrage as Historic England slaps listed status on 50s-60s designerCoventry

i WAS SO PLEASED TO SEE THIS. IT CAME AS A SURPRISE TO THE COUNCIL too,(so my mole tells me) last week, who had plans to erase a lot of those buildings for the City of Culture year...
    I think most of the planned post war buildings and shops were quite beautiful in style-if only our council had looked after them. Coventry is unique in this respect., a real post war city... messed about with
    I could see them rubbing their hands with glee when we won the City of Culture status. All that money ! to waste rebuilding the centre --again. Another few years of demolition work.
    How many times does a city need re-rebuilding.
    They should re- beautify the 6os shops we have. and look at the original plans which were so well designed, by real designers for a real city...Historic England has really slated what has been done to a well designed post war plan, with bits tacked on and others left to rot in the hope of getting them condemned.
    I looked at photos on line and they are really striking.
    Too many little people with a few degrees who think they know what's good for us Coventry kids..
    Last edited by cathidaw; 03-04-2018 at 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling