Thread: Arts House Faces Closure

Default Arts House Faces Closure

I really can't believe this. Stratford Arts House is a fantastic venue; just pulling funding like that is typical of the short sighted, poor decision making of the Town Trust: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...ord-artshouse/

Established Member

I'm wondering at the mentality of these committees. Does power go to their heads when they sit there, lovingly playing chess, with peoples lives.
    My grandma used to say,"We are not put on this earth to enjoy ourselves".
    I thought these Dickensian attitudes had gone. Seems not.
    Similarly, Keresley Village Community Centre, in Keresley Village, a deprived area, has a mini shop, a church in a house, and a lovely Community Centre, and that's all.
    Now I have been told that if the Conservatives get elected in Nuneaton and Bedworth next time, they will close the centre and build houses. for people with nowhere for their kids to play.
    So no Nursery, no centre with its Gym and classes, and police offices... all will be gone. And crime will go up.
    I doubt if the councillors have even seen the place
    Last edited by cathidaw; 24-02-2018 at 02:24 AM.

Committees are dangerous because no one person is accountable. Also you tend to find 'group-think' takes over with nobody being prepared to shout out against the most outlandish suggestion for fear of being seen out of step.

I always used a saying in industry, "never underestimate the stupidity of people in groups" - It rarely let me down.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Established Member

THE BIGGEST LIABILITY in BEDWORTH , APART FROM THE MULTI MILLION POUND POLICE STATION -- WHICH IS NOW JUST A TOKEN OF 'WHAT ONCE WAS', ---IS THE CIVIC HALL ironically opposite. A massive piece of luxury, standing in all its glory and hardly ever used.Painted heated and cOSSETED daily.
    The cafe was always full of people, so the wizards in Nuneaton B.C. closed it.and opened the Bistro, which we all knew, that being owned by the council, would never make a profit.
    I hear today that it's opening again as a cafe.I hope it does.
    Last week there were three stalls on Bedworth market--TWO up on last week. Lately it has been a one man market. (Ever heard of such a thing?)
    What do the council do to alter the decline,? Put up the rents to encourage traders. How wise!!! I wonder often what business school these councillors went to.
    Rents are sky high, so this once booming little town centre that was, is slowly going down the pan.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 28-02-2018 at 05:11 PM.

In view of Stratford Town Trust's recent decisions (Masons Croft, developments around the Maidenhead Road area etc.), I'm not confident about the Arts House future: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...ouse-operator/

The (likely) new operator has been announced: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...ally-revealed/