Thread: Shakespeare Birthday Celebrations

Default Shakespeare Birthday Celebrations

Great for the tourists, but like most locals I'll be giving Stratford a wide berth that weekend: http://www.stratford-herald.com/8209...ebrations.html
    Last edited by Lex; 12-02-2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Makes two Lex
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

This might be interesting, but it still won't tempt me into town over the weekend: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...tratford-5727/

I've watched the living statues several times in Stratford. I must admit to an odd fascination and most are very good. But like you Lex, I'll give the place a miss that weekend.

Yes, I'll definitely be leaving all that to the tourists.

Avoid Stratford on 23rd April - it'll be hell: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...e-town-centre/

St George's day!

Good point! I'll be raising a pint on St. G's Day, if only to spit in the eye of the Woke Brigade!

A roundup of what's happening: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...ratford-37670/

The town centre's streets will be closed on Friday as well as Saturday & Sunday.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Woops! Is it me, or did anyone else notice the spelling blooper in this sentence?

''Shakespeare’s Birthday Celebrations will take place across the weekend of April 23 and 24 after a three year Covid-enforced absense.''

“I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Just can't get the staff, Margaret.

Spellcheck is very good, but you first need it turned on! However, the limit is that it doesn't tell you when you've used a correctly spelt word but in the wrong sense. Of course, that we have let education standards fall so far doesn't help in the slightest.

I used to wind the staff of the Coventry Telegraph up about such things until they banned me from posting.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Just can't get the staff, Margaret.

Spellcheck is very good, but you first need it turned on! However, the limit is that it doesn't tell you when you've used a correctly spelt word but in the wrong sense. Of course, that we have let education standards fall so far doesn't help in the slightest.

I used to wind the staff of the Coventry Telegraph up about such things until they banned me from posting.

I agree.
    I am nowhere near perfect with spelling myself, but I like to make sure it is correct. But when it is an editorial piece I would expect word perfect, or maybe a few errors are expected these days. I mean official stuff . What makes me miffed is that those in a position of editorial reporting, probably has to have at least A level English for the job. I never attained that level.
    It's just that sometimes an error jumps out at me this is blatantly obvious.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Margaret, I barely scraped 4 O levels before I left school. I have worked as an editor, proofreader and writer.

Sadly, education standards have dropped very badly. I used to manage a team of very highly qualified engineers, half of my day was spent correcting their reports so that they were at least readable.

It's been a problem for years - universities are constantly complaining about having to put remedial lessons on for their students.

I was warned during my Masters that if my written English was poor I would likely fail. Yet a couple of months later when I sat the exams anyone not having English as their first language could use dictionaries. OK, it didn't bother me but I didn't consider it a fair practice.

I think we are largely reaping the 'progressive' streak that we saw in education where pupils weren't corrected with poor English or punctuation. Unfortunately, a lot of that 'progressive streak' is now employed in education themselves and has no idea of how to correct pupils. Thus the spiral downwards continues.