Thread: Warwickshire Schools 'Performing Better than Average'

Default Warwickshire Schools 'Performing Better than Average'

This doesn't mean a fat lot; employers have been moaning about having to provide training for remedial skills to their staff for years: https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/...bles-1-8348145

Sadly, you're right Lex. I used to interview youngsters for apprenticeships and trainee engineer jobs. Many were unemployable. It wasn't their fault though, it was the 'system'.

On more than one occasion when we had taken on our quota I had to run various classes in the softer skills because the kids weren't up to scratch.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Having gone through the state system, I can see exactly what employers are talking about. The primary school I went to was quite good; I wasn't the best or brightest student, but with a bit of encouragement I kept up with the average.

However, the secondary school I went to (Trinity School, Warwick), was little more than a babysitting service. Apart from my 1st & 2nd year history and geography teachers, and one of the art teachers who taught me photography, most of the teachers just seemed to regard themselves as the 'responsible adult' in a room in a nursery. As one friend I've kept in touch with over the years said '5 years, and we didn't learn a damn thing'.