Thread: The Day Armageddon Nearly Happened

Default The Day Armageddon Nearly Happened

It's scary how close the world came to being wiped out: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...031911163.html

rebbonk

Worrying isn't it? Yet in reality we're still not that far from repeating past mistakes. The idea of cans of 'instant sunshine' being lobbed around isn't one to look forward to.

rebbonk

I'm currently reading (for review) a pre-publication copy of a book about a Buccaneer navigator. Even though I worked on Bucc's there's a few revelations that are surprising. But the one thing that comes through loud and clear is that if they were ever sent to nuke the Warsaw pack there was no way back to the UK. The aircraft simply didn't have the range and they'd have to eject over the Scandinavian countries and hope for the best. Another thing that comes through similarly is that the crews knew their potential fate and lived life to the full, usually by outrageous behaviour.

Apparently it was a similar situation with the Vulcan bombers: make it back if you can to reload, but don't expect there to be anywhere left to land.

rebbonk

At least with the Buccs both crew had ejector seats, the Vulcan (and Victor) relied on sufficient height for the Navigators/Bomb Aimers/AEOs to bail out manually via the entrance hatches whilst the pilots could eject.

The Vulcan crew space was particularly depressing and claustrophobic, the Victor slightly less so. I can't say I miss climbing in and out of Vulcans via the door ladder, and I hated doing engine runs or compass swings with them.