Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May to seek snap election for 8 June

rebbonk

Default May to seek snap election for 8 June

Not exactly unexpected was it?

More interesting times ahead

I groaned when I heard on the news - this is basically the 3rd time in 2 years we've been asked to vote in/out of the EU.

Is it me, or we hearing more about the French election than the UK elections?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39670703

rebbonk

I think we are, but only due to the terrorist attack yesterday. A big swing to the right in France will make for very interesting times.

Germany also go to the polls later this year.

I read an interesting theory today that May had called this election so that she wouldn't need to pander to the more extreme Brexiteers in the government. The theory was that should she win by the margins predicted that she would be seeking a much softer brexit. - I, for one, hope that the guy postulating the theory is mistaken.

A bit of information on the election, some of which might be interesting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39631768

rebbonk

Today might be interesting as the CPS will announce it's decisions on those MPs (and their agents) accused of breaking expenditure laws during the last election.

Having watched Corbyn over the last few days I think he's improving. Sadly, I think it's too little, too late. May is behaving very strangely with highly scripted talks and very carefully invited parties. - I'm not sure I like it. It implies to me that she can't think on her feet and that is bad news as we start brexit negotiations.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Today might be interesting as the CPS will announce it's decisions on those MPs (and their agents) accused of breaking expenditure laws during the last election.
    CPS have declined to prosecute in all but one case according to the BBC (just after 11:00 AM). - I guess there will now be claims of whitewash.

Thanet South still remains under consideration...

Sadly, elections seem to be highly stage managed nowadays; although a decent bit of entertainment does occasionally slip through - John Prescott swinging for 1 voter, and Gordon Brown calling another a bigot, for example.

Labour's manifesto has been leaked; it reads like a return to rubbish mountains & the 3 day week: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ifesto-leaked/

rebbonk

If they go with their current stand on immigration and brexit they haven't got a hope in Hell. - They haven't learned their lessons and are still not listening to the people.

The Lib Dem manifesto is out. I really don't want another vote on Europe (this election effectively being the 3rd on the subject in 2 years), and I won't be too impressed with a tax rise either. Otherwise, there's not a lot that will directly affect me in there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39946809
    Last edited by Lex; 17-05-2017 at 06:21 PM.

rebbonk

Had an interesting chat with daughter this afternoon. She was musing about who to vote for in the coming election.

Suddenly she said, "There isn't one of them worth voting for, they're all crap!" I had to agree with her.

I admire what Corbyn has done by moving away from the same old politics, but I really can't see myself voting to have him as PM and my current MP (Labour) is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I don't trust May, and as yet I don't know who is standing as local Tory candidate. The rest are a wasted vote as far as I'm concerned.

I can see me going along and 'spoiling' my paper.

I'll probably end up voting Conservative to confirm my leave vote, even though Nadhim Zahawi seems to be a particularly self-serving MP.

There's a lot in the Conservative manifesto. They'll be hard pushed to get it all done if they win: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39960311

rebbonk

It all depends on how much of a (loyal) majority they have.

It's all well and good saying that things will be done, but you need to get the HOC to agree to them. Insufficient majority (quite a lot of prospective conservative MPs are not happy with some of that manifesto) will result in frustration and watering down of the idea, or horse trading on other matters.

May's got herself into a bit of a mess: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40005257