Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: May to seek snap election for 8 June

cathidaw

I watched 'til 2.30 am and was certain Corbyn would get in and was a bit disappointed this morning but still think it was a good result. Can't see Teresa lasting tho'.and the Irish bunch= DUP will create a lot of grief.Their policies are so disturbing. but then she's desperate , any port in a storm I'd say..

Ps .Lex... of course Corbyn could form a government.!
    Last edited by cathidaw; 09-06-2017 at 11:18 PM.

I'm not so sure - Labour needs the Lib Dems, SNP, Green, Sinn Fein (who take their salary, but not their seats) etc etc - basically any MP who's not a Conservative to come anywhere near the number of seats the Tories have. There's just to many conflicting interests for them to work together.
    My feeling is that the Conservative government might last until Christmas (180 shopping days to go!), but a Labour government might not last the summer.

Looks like the deal's been done, but problems are on the horizon: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40236152

rebbonk

I can't see May surviving. Many of her back benchers will try to pull the rug from under her at the first opportunity: they aren't happy at what she's done, or the incompetence she's shown.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at her first cabinet meeting Monday!

I certainly hope Boris Johnson isn't going to be our next Tory leader! What a train crash that will be!

rebbonk

That is a distinct possibility Finebyme.

Yes, it's a possibility. God knows, we don't need another buffoon with bad hair.

rebbonk

Corbyn seems to think he can derail May over the Queen's speech. If he does, then he will likely get the opportunity to form a minority government. Should that minority government fail then it's back to the country.... and I'd suggest that Corbyn will gain a majority. The Tories are rather hamstrung, and despite them actually winning the election, the ball seems well and truly in Corbyn's court.

I must say, I think the old duffer's turned out pretty shrewd. - I salute him.

I sincerely hope that won't be the case. However, I'm starting to think we're b*****ed whichever way we turn; we're faced with a choice of Conservatives or Labour - arrogant incompetent shambles or back to the 1970s.

Either choice means the EU can capitalise on the chaos, meaning they get a good deal and we get a bad deal and, like the fallout from 1970-1979, it'd going to take 20 years to sort out.

Where's my passport......

cathidaw

I have championed Corbyn for decades. I know most - or the very few here on WOL (men) do not rate him but his government would certainly be different. For the past 100 years or so our governments have all been in the same traditional vein . They have all been rulers/dictators and not leaders, always them and us the minions.Just the same as the people in Tressels book The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist written in 1914..........worth a read. Attitudes of M.P's towards the proles hasn't changed.
    It would be worth a go!

rebbonk

Cathidaw, I'll be the first to admit I didn't rate Corbyn. However, having watched his performance during the election campaign I'll also be the first to admit I may well have got him very wrong. Your point about the political classes is perfectly valid, maybe we do need a change from what has gone before? Corbyn certainly seems to have some different ideas. Whether he would ever be "allowed" to put them into practice remains to be seen.

I think the next couple of weeks are going to be very interesting, politically speaking. Ruth Davidson may well cause a few ripples throughout the Tories with any DUP agreement.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 12-06-2017 at 09:05 AM.

It was kind of inevitable that Brexit would dominate the new parliament: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40345280

rebbonk

The vote to accept or reject the speech will be interesting. May is going to have a few sleepless nights over the next week. The fact that she hasn't signed up the DUP as yet doesn't bode well for her abilities.

If she survives until the summer recess, I think come the autumn we'll be seeing a new leader and possibly another election.