Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May to seek snap election for 8 June

Here's the highlights of the Green's manifesto: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40003019

rebbonk

The green movement still have far too many nutters attached to it as Lucas admitted in an interview last night.

Speaking personally, I simply can't afford what their policies would do to my finances.

It's similar to Labour & Lib. Dems. They seem to think money can be magicked out of the air like an illusionist's coin trick.

rebbonk

I used to be a member of the electricians union. I wondered why such outlandish ideas were always coming out and being passed down to us, so I tackled the shop-steward about it. He grinned, and suggested I went along to the next branch meeting. -I did! What an eye opener. There were about 4 people present and they greeted me with, "Hello comrade!" They went on to discuss and pass resolutions that were totally absurd. - The reason the garbage came down was simply because nobody could be bothered to attend meetings and bring a touch of common sense to bear.

Shortly afterwards I fell out with the union big time and wrote to them telling them I resigned. They wrote back telling me I couldn't resign, so I informed them that I'd not pay my dues and they'd have to expel me, which they eventually did after about 2 years.

But this is exactly what is happening in the political parties. The masses don't want to be involved, so the extremists get their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Sadly, elections seem to be highly stage managed nowadays; although a decent bit of entertainment does occasionally slip through - John Prescott swinging for 1 voter, and Gordon Brown calling another a bigot, for example.
    My thinking is that Theresa didn't want to be in a situation where she & her lackeys can't control the questions: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40105324

rebbonk

I suspect that May fell into the common trap of believing her own hype and PR. I suspect she's going to pay the price, and quite heavily.

I picked up on an article yesterday where she wouldn't say if she'd resign if the election didn't go the way she'd originally predicted. My bet is she'll do a Camoron if she has a smaller majority than she started with.

One of May's biggest mistakes was to push the 'Team Theresa' and to refer to everything as 'I'.

I picked up an ebook biography on May earlier this week. Despite the author's best endeavours, she doesn't come across as a particularly likeable or charismatic person.

Whilst I disagree very strongly with some of Corbyn's policies, I will admit that I am definitely warming to him and he has scrubbed up quite well.

Another kick in the crotch for the Conservative's campaign: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-40129826

rebbonk

According to reports on guido (order-order.com), both Conservative and Labour are expecting May to have a comfortable win. Although the various opinion polls are showing the same downward trend for the Tories the 'door steppers' are not reporting the same.

My own personal experience is largely inline with the opinion polls.

I think Friday morning will be an interesting one to wake up to.

I don't like May, but I'm sure she will sail through the election and win.
    I just want to get Brexit underway.

cathidaw

If she gets through it will be with a scrape I'm sure. I hope she doesn't.
    We need someone tactful to negotiate the best for us from Brexit, and it's not her.

Only 3-and-a-half hours to get your vote in. I actually managed to get my act together this morning, and left home 10 minutes early to cast mine on the way to work: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40124066
    Last edited by Lex; 08-06-2017 at 05:38 PM.

rebbonk

I wandered in about 9.45 to do my duty. Unfortunately, I got button-holed by the village idiot outside and it took me a lot longer than the 10 minutes I expected. - He'd spotted my Land Rover jacket and he used to work there so I got his life story and all the reasons as to why he'd just voted Conservative. Oh well, I made someone happy.

Well, that went well for Theresa: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39946901

rebbonk

Odds on her surviving the weekend as party leader are 50/50.

She gambled and lost. There's a lesson here... If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

There have definitely been some grumblings today. However, Jeremy Corbyn's living in a fantasy land if he thinks he can form a government.

rebbonk

I listened to all the spin today. Frankly, made me sick. UK politics is in a right mess and the people are paying heavily for the ineptitude of the political classes.

However, this did make me smile....

"Oh sh*t, it's that May woman again!"