Thread: Camera shops

Default Camera shops

Where have all the camera shops gone?
    My son has been looking for a local camera shop with no success.
    He did find the London Camera Exchange in Leamington, but they don't have much in stock mostly second hand.

rebbonk

Like many hi-tech shops, they're now mostly online. - Which makes it very difficult to actually get a 'feel' of things to see if they suit you.

You could try Currys?

Thanks rebbonk, he tried Curry's, I think he will get The London Camera Shop to order him what he wants.

cathidaw

i USE THE LONDON CAMERA EXCHANGE IN Leamington.They are very helpful.they are willing to discuss discounts too.
    Most shops closed because of online shops. my grandson worked at Jessops for a short time.People would go in, look at the cameras-then buy on line.Much-much cheaper ! Can't blame them can we when one is spending so much.
    Loyalty is not in the dictionary these days, when it come to this hobby.

Cathidaw, yes we have been in LCE and they are very helpful, but on two occasions they didn't have what my son was looking for, so they said they will get in in for him. These digital camera's are complex and expensive, but nevertheless I maintain a good camera is far superior than using a cell phone.
    It is a great pity we lost Jessops in the town, I have learned only recently they moved to Redditch. Kingfisher Shopping Centre.
    I don't understand all this buy online stuff, I don't like to do it that way and how can it be cheaper if you have to pay postage & Packing. I like to properly look and handle an item, study it a bit, ask any questions, discuss with the sales person in the shop who can be very helpful in deciding if it is the right thing for you, etc..
    I did once go against my better judgement and ordered readymade curtains online , and was disappointed on receiving them as they weren't the quality as advertised , even though they were lined they let the light through at night . So I am not keen doing online shopping.
    Last edited by Finebyme; 07-03-2017 at 06:39 AM.

cathidaw

I use online shopping a lot since I had operations on my ankle.
    My main hobby besides writing has been photography-since I was a child.
    I belong to 2 clubs and know a little about cameras and camera shops.
    Jessops was ok--sometimes.They got bonuses for selling certain things and the salespeople don't know as much as you would think. Read up in magazines-not the posh ones Amateur Photographer is excellent.They will always advise one line.
    I very rarely buy anything where postage and packing is not included, and with guaranteed free returns.
    My main camera is a Canon slr digital which cost me £1200, from Jessops, 10 years ago-the next week it was half the price-new models came out. Jessops knew about the coming price reduction too-they told me when I asked AFTERWARDS., and yet sold me the camera. I said Id never use them again-they offered me a voucher for £50.00 which I refused..
    However my camera has been perfect and each time they update the model I have been tempted but right now I'm happy with it. I f I did I'd go toLCE and see what they could do for me -if not enough I'd happily order on line .p an p inc.
    Thats why camera shops are very few.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 07-03-2017 at 01:37 PM.