Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allotment

Default Allotment

I've just taken on an allotment, which I'm in the process of tidying up (the previous holder could no longer commit to it) and digging manure & compost into.
    So far, I'm planning to plant a couple of gooseberry bushes, 2/3 small apple trees, rhubarb and potatoes.
    Does anyone have any tips for vegetables I could plant and whether I should plant seeds straight into the ground in April/May, or start them off in a greenhouse etc?
    Last edited by Lex; 04-02-2017 at 11:37 PM.

rebbonk

Way out of my sphere Lex. -Too much like hard work!

I'm going for a semi-low maintenance approach which, after the initial work, shouldn't need too much effort outside the planting & harvesting seasons beyond weeding and watering, so I hopefully won't get too worn out from it.

cathidaw

When my son rented a house in Eynsham the garden was so tiny they rented an allotment a short cycle ride away for somewhere to sit in. Being archaeologists and used to digging they soon cleared their patch and laid a lawn around the shed. which was used to house a calor stove for tea -and snacks of course and comfy garden chairs for lounging on warm evenings.
    The elders who had been there for years disapproved and gave them all sorts of advice hinting that lounging around was not what an allotment was for. So they threw in a few exotic seeds including flowers. and a packet of rocket , to shut them up, and spent that summer after work, enjoying time off. No one spoke except to ask what the plants were.
    That summer , the allotments were plagued by rabbits-you can imagine what happened-but not to this plot. All the others-not a carrot, or whatever they grew, was left. When I went to see them, it was just before their job finished and had to move house to another part of the country The whole of the plot was surrounded by rocket and flowers. Lovely.
    So if you get a bit tired get a stove and a shed and comfy chairs and you've got it made.
    Who said an allotment is only to grow veg.unless it all goes back to the wartime years.
    Good luck.
    Not advice as such--I'd do the same if I hadn't got a big garden.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 10-02-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks Cathi. The apple trees, rhubarb and gooseberry bushes are in place, and another allotment holder has given me some raspberry canes. The shed's going up this weekend as well.

cathidaw

Good -you need a shed, what good is an allotment without one.Your sanctuary.
    Not the same as one in the garden. Altho' my dad had one in the garden and no-one else was allowed in it.
    Every year he painted it with whatever paint he could 'borrow' from wherever he worked so we never knew what colour it was going to be.

Unfortunately, the shed didn't get erected at the weekend - couldn't get my hands on all the tools I needed to borrow. Hopefully, it'll be put up on Saturday; I've even persuaded a friend to help out with the promise of a couple of pints.

We got the shed up yesterday. I've (literally!) dug up some cemented-together bricks which look like they were once part of an archway; I've used them to make some mini beds for planting herbs in.

cathidaw

The archway?
    could it be of some archaeological interest?

All the bricks look fairly modern, and there's a building nearby on the allotments which looks early 20th century, so any archaeological thoughts didn't pop into my head. Might be worth taking one of the pieces to the county archaeology service....

I managed to escape from work early yesterday, and spent a couple of hours on the allotment. My 1st job was to dig in an old tyre I found in a lay-by to make a raised bed (home for a honeysuckle), followed by setting up some caned to support a couple of grape vines I'm planning to get.

I'm pretty happy about the soggy weather at the minute - it's really bringing things on! I'm pretty hopeful for a bumper crop of spuds, the apple trees are blossoming like there's no tomorrow, and I'm even anticipating a small harvest of gooseberries!

rebbonk

Nothing better than your own potatoes. I used to grow them in tubs with my dad, happy memories.

Nice new potatoes covered in butter served with a generous portion of corned beef.... Heaven!

I did think about new potatoes, but went for King Edwards instead. I'm wanting to grow them next year, so new potatoes might be a good option
    Last edited by Lex; 09-07-2017 at 08:27 PM.

I dug my spuds up last week - 8 kilos of them! I decided to part cook and freeze them, as there's no way I'd get through that many potatoes before they'd start going off.
    Does anyone have any potato recipes? 1 thing I'm considering is potato, garlic & herb soup, as I have a glut of all 3.

rebbonk

I used to love potato and onion pie. Just a mix of potatoes, onions and seasoning cooked in the oven until nice and tender. Be warned though, it can give you terrible wind.

You could also do jacket potatoes and freeze them for easy autumn and winter meals.

You can puree the garlic and freeze in small batches. Herbs can be frozen or dried.

Some interesting recipes here...

https://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/recipes/

http://www.countryliving.com/food-dr...-recipes-1110/
    Last edited by rebbonk; 10-07-2017 at 10:09 AM.