Thread: Cleaning washing machine gasket.

Default Cleaning washing machine gasket.

I have noticed horrible mould round my front loader rubber door seal/gasket, Any ideas what to use to get rid of dirty mould? It is inbetween the seal also.
    Thanks.

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/wp-c...-machine-3.jpg
    Last edited by Finebyme; 04-02-2017 at 01:18 PM.

rebbonk

From mumsnet...

Make a paste of bicarbonate of soda and water (sort of toothpaste consistency). Smooth it over the black marks and leave it for 30 mins. Wipe it off with kitchen roll, then do a service wash with the machine empty, using soda crystals (under £1 in the supermarket) instead of your usual washing powder. Works every time for me.
    Many people suggest using bleach, I'm not a fan of that. White vinegar could also kill it off and allow it to be removed. Sadly, if it's too far gone you may need to replace it.

The knack is not to leave it wet once you've finished using the machine. So I suggest either drying it off with kitchen towel, or leaving the door open for a few hours to allow it to dry naturally.

Thanks rebook, I managed to clean the gunk out of the rut where water collects, and used a brillo pad to get most of the black stain off, but I think I shall also use the bicarbonate of soda solution that you kindly posted. I do leave the door just a little open. It doesn't say how much soda crystals to use though. probably a cupful?
    It is a bad design on front loader washing machines with that seal collecting water, like that. I don't know if they have improved on that problem. I would have a top loader but all the worktops are fitted in the kitchen. At what stage should I just ditch the machine altogether and by a new one?
    Zanussi have reasonably priced machines, but I do rather like Meile washing machines, expensive but good reliable work horses. I'm in two minds whether to get a new machine or persevere with my present one, no harm in giving it a few more months I guess.

Speaking of Zanussi, I need a new replacement door on my fridge, and wonder it it will cost as much as buy a new one.
    Last edited by Finebyme; 04-02-2017 at 08:52 PM.

rebbonk

I believe in getting the maximum use out of appliances and usually run them until they are beyond economical repair by myself.

Last week (or so) I replaced the oven element. It was a right b*st*rd to do and the kitchen was freezing. (I was lying on a very cold floor.) It took me 15 minutes to get the old one out and about 7 minutues to put the new one in. Normally, I'd have spun that job out for a full day just to get some peace.

Cost me £10 Vs £100 for a service agent, or £500 for a new cooker. If in doubt how to do some repairs, have a squint at youtube: there's lots of good advice on there.

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by Finebyme View Post
    I have noticed horrible mould round my front loader rubber door seal/gasket, Any ideas what to use to get rid of dirty mould? It is inbetween the seal also.
    Thanks.

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/wp-c...-machine-3.jpg

I have the same problem with mine which is a Bush machine. A kind of black stuff which looks like sediment from the black seal.
    I got most of it off with cillit bang but not all of it.Fortunatey its only i the groove at the bottom where water collects.I would agree it must be design fault too

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/wp-c...-machine-3.jpg[/QUOTE]

Thank you Cathidaw, you are right, it's just like a collection of silt and it smelt sour. I have managed to clean it out but and am now more aware to keep that are dry where the water collects. I shall get some of that cillit bang on my next trip to Dyas. Tesco probably sell it by I like Dyas, they have all my Flash mop pads, and cleaning solution , and disposable gloves, etc. that i use.

I occasionally get the vacuum cleaner out and clear out the door seal; I find if too much fluff builds up, it gets over my clothes & I have to give them another wash.